Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased a phone from an individual and they are still longed into their Apple ID

I bought an iPhone from a friend but their is still an Apple ID attached to the account. The phone has been reset but I still can’t get through the activation lock

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 1:50 PM

You will have to contact the friend and have them do this→What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Until they follow those instructions you will not be able to use the phone. As it’s a friend it should be no problem to fix one you explain it to them.

2 replies

Mar 10, 2022 1:52 PM in response to Littlefoot99

Your friend MUST remove Activation Lock from the phone or it will be useless to you. Send them this link and insist they do as directed or give the phone back to them for full refund --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

And this -- The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

I purchased a phone from an individual and they are still longed into their Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.