You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove / Disable Unwanted Audio Output Device

I keep having issues with The OS (Big Sur 11.6.4) defaulting to audio devices that I will never use.

It detects The two LG 4K monitors as audio out devices with only their headphone jacks (I also will never use and with no internal speakers). These monitors connect to my hub over DisplayPort, and the CalDigit USB-C hub itself with a headphone jack that I will never use. I'm getting all kinds of issues when I turn off my blue

The last 3 items listed are not an issue, and I've never connected to them (they aren't mine).

I just know using Windows you simply can disable any hardware device through Device Manager where every component is listed.

Also each application will pic up the microphone at random between 3 devices: my beats earbuds, Macbook internal mic., and Sony bluetooth speaker SRS-XB43, when im transferring between Zoom/Teams conference calls.

Any advice is appreciated... I'll edit system files if necessary. I would like to never see those 3 devices again.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 12:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 8:51 AM

Greetings, brtbendele.

When you say that you are having issues with your output selecting audio devices, do you mean Bluetooth, wired or both?

If your Mac switches to a different audio device

When you’re using an external display with your Mac, if your audio output or input immediately reverts to a different audio device than the one you selected in Sound preferences, do any of the following:

• If you have headphones or external speakers plugged into a Mac connected to a display: When you select the display’s built-in speakers in the Output pane of Sound preferences, your selection may revert to the headphones or external speakers. To select the display’s speakers, first unplug the headphones or external speakers, then make your selection.

• If you have a headset plugged into a Mac connected to a display: When you select the display’s built-in microphone in the Input pane of Sound preferences, your selection may revert to the headset. To select the display’s built-in microphone, first unplug the headset, then make your selection.” If your Mac switches to a different audio device 

Are you able to change the output settings? Also, do you have a different device selected for notifications?

“Change the sound output settings on Mac

You can play sound through your computer’s internal speakers, your display’s speakers (if it has speakers), or through speakers, headphones, or other equipment plugged into your Mac or available wirelessly through AirPlay.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Sound , then click Output.
  2. Select the device you want to use in the list of sound output devices. 
  3. All sound output devices available to your Mac are listed, including the computer’s internal speakers, devices plugged into your computer’s sound port (Audio port icon), USB speakers, and AirPlay devices.
  4. For any device plugged into the computer’s sound port, choose Headphones.
  5. Do any of the following to adjust your sound output settings:
    • Adjust the balance: Drag the Balance slider.
    • Adjust the volume: Drag the Output volume slider.
    • Stop sound output: Select the Mute checkbox.
  • Show a volume control in the menu bar: Select the “Show Sound in menu bar” checkbox so you can turn the volume up or down from anywhere. You can use the dropdown menu to choose whether to show Sound in the menu bar only all the time or only when it’s active.
  • To set a separate volume for alert sounds, click Sound Effects.
  • Depending on your Mac and the devices you use, you may be able to set other volume options using the Audio MIDI Setup app.
    • If you use apps that have volume controls (for example, Music or iMovie), their settings can only be equal to or less than the computer’s output volume. They do not override the settings you choose in Sound preferences.” Change the sound output settings on Mac 

We hope this helps! 

Sincerely.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2022 8:51 AM in response to brtbendele

Greetings, brtbendele.

When you say that you are having issues with your output selecting audio devices, do you mean Bluetooth, wired or both?

If your Mac switches to a different audio device

When you’re using an external display with your Mac, if your audio output or input immediately reverts to a different audio device than the one you selected in Sound preferences, do any of the following:

• If you have headphones or external speakers plugged into a Mac connected to a display: When you select the display’s built-in speakers in the Output pane of Sound preferences, your selection may revert to the headphones or external speakers. To select the display’s speakers, first unplug the headphones or external speakers, then make your selection.

• If you have a headset plugged into a Mac connected to a display: When you select the display’s built-in microphone in the Input pane of Sound preferences, your selection may revert to the headset. To select the display’s built-in microphone, first unplug the headset, then make your selection.” If your Mac switches to a different audio device 

Are you able to change the output settings? Also, do you have a different device selected for notifications?

“Change the sound output settings on Mac

You can play sound through your computer’s internal speakers, your display’s speakers (if it has speakers), or through speakers, headphones, or other equipment plugged into your Mac or available wirelessly through AirPlay.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Sound , then click Output.
  2. Select the device you want to use in the list of sound output devices. 
  3. All sound output devices available to your Mac are listed, including the computer’s internal speakers, devices plugged into your computer’s sound port (Audio port icon), USB speakers, and AirPlay devices.
  4. For any device plugged into the computer’s sound port, choose Headphones.
  5. Do any of the following to adjust your sound output settings:
    • Adjust the balance: Drag the Balance slider.
    • Adjust the volume: Drag the Output volume slider.
    • Stop sound output: Select the Mute checkbox.
  • Show a volume control in the menu bar: Select the “Show Sound in menu bar” checkbox so you can turn the volume up or down from anywhere. You can use the dropdown menu to choose whether to show Sound in the menu bar only all the time or only when it’s active.
  • To set a separate volume for alert sounds, click Sound Effects.
  • Depending on your Mac and the devices you use, you may be able to set other volume options using the Audio MIDI Setup app.
    • If you use apps that have volume controls (for example, Music or iMovie), their settings can only be equal to or less than the computer’s output volume. They do not override the settings you choose in Sound preferences.” Change the sound output settings on Mac 

We hope this helps! 

Sincerely.

Remove / Disable Unwanted Audio Output Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.