Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Calling on Other Devices — what's the secret dance?

I recently changed provider here in the UK from to EE; part in fact as they are the network that seems to be up-to-date with the "latest" iPhone features and support—including the only network to support Wi-Fi Calling over iCloud.

That said, I'm at a loss getting the magic to work. Followed all the steps, "upgraded" Wi-Fi calling across my iPad, personal and work Macs, and all fail when I turn Wi-Fi off on my iPhone (disconnecting it from the network). "Nearby" Wi-Fi calling on these devices works flawlessly. As soon as I disconnect, dead.

I have managed to get each of the Macs to work whilst the iPhone was on a cellular connection, but neither at the same time (when attempting to dial in), and neither for very long. Shortly thereafter, the Macs will refuse to initiate an outgoing call over Wi-Fi.

I've tried all the various dances save resetting network settings and signing out of iCloud. This includes:

• Turning off "Calls from iPhone" across all devices
  • Disabling all Wi-Fi calling including "on this iPhone" on the iPhone
  • Signing out of FaceTime
  • Restarting all devices
  • Signing back into FaceTime
  • Re-enabling iPhone Wi-Fi calling
  • Re-enabling "nearby" Wi-Fi calling
  • And finally, "upgrading" all other devices to use iCloud Wi-Fi calling.

As previously mentioned, this might give functionality to one of the Macs, but it'll loose the ability shortly thereafter. I just get a dial tone when ringing out.

That said, all the "other" devices, will place the failing call, as soon as the iPhone rejoins the network (and advertises itself). Which has got me wondering if they're using iCloud-based calling at all, or just looking for the iPhone? 🤔

Network setup uses UniFi gear but I don't think I'm doing anything overtly complicated. "WiFiCall" appears on the iPhone's carrier name so I believe it's safe to assume a Wi-Fi calling connection (over IPsec VPN) can and is being made.

Thoughts?

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 1:54 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 12, 2022 7:23 AM in response to jamie.shaw

Hello jamie.shaw,

This page here provides some good steps to try for getting Wi-Fi Calling working well: Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

In addition to the other steps, check out the "Get help" section. In there it'll note the following suggestions:

Wait two minutes before you go from one step to the next.

1. Go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is on.
2. Restart your iPhone.
3. Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.
4. Turn Wi-Fi Calling off and then on again.
5. Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset, and tap Reset Network Settings.

Cheers.

Wi-Fi Calling on Other Devices — what's the secret dance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.