Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Wi-Fi Calling on Airplane Mode won’t work

Putting things in context:

1) Jio - the carrier supports the feature (Wi-Fi calling / text on Airplane mode)

2) iPhone was able to provide this feature till iOS 15.7

3) Since the update to iOS 16, both 5g and Wifi Calling features have suffered with Jio as the carrier (not sure about other carriers)

4) After months of chasing Apple and Jio - I was able to figure out the 5g issue (network reset did the trick)

5) Wifi calling in airplane mode still unavailable (works only once after a network reset)

is there anyone out here who has been able to get a fix for this?

Please don’t tell me to check my Wi-Fi calling settings - have done that over a 100 times already. And the carrier supports the feature and this features works fine on a Samsung connected to the same carrier and Wi-Fi.

I am certain this is a bug in iOS 16.

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 9:39 AM

FYI, we’re fellow users … who at times get just as frustrated by the modern, layered, “tech support” bureaucracies too.

Apple certainly has a “carrier liaison” team; although I’m not privy to any of it’s details of it’s workings.

Apple likewise has an “end user liaison” team. They’re at Official Apple Support

Best of luck.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 9:39 AM in response to SeeingAhead

FYI, we’re fellow users … who at times get just as frustrated by the modern, layered, “tech support” bureaucracies too.

Apple certainly has a “carrier liaison” team; although I’m not privy to any of it’s details of it’s workings.

Apple likewise has an “end user liaison” team. They’re at Official Apple Support

Best of luck.

Sep 17, 2023 9:04 AM in response to SeeingAhead

Sorry to hear of your difficulties; we all understand the frustrations you’re encountering.

What it more likely indicates is that Jio had apparently inadequately prepared their WiFi calling architecture for iOS 16.

Carrier’s developers support the iOS … not the other way around.

Millions of users are WiFi calling w/ iOS 16 on their carrier’s networks just fine.

Any “under-informed” carrier representative can claim that it was resulting from the iOS 16 update; but that’s not even a half-truth.

Sep 17, 2023 9:26 AM in response to SeeingAhead

Sorry if you feel I’m on a high horse. It certainly wasn’t intentional.

And while i’m just a single data point, I’m not aware of any other users reporting systemic, long term WiFi calling issues.

And we DO unfortunately understand the unbelievably frustrating experience of dealing with a carrier - for an extended period - over an obvious technical issue. (Been there myself … on several occasions)

It will indeed drive one absolutely crazy if one allows it to.

However at the end of the day, if there IS a technical issue w/ iOS … it’s going to require your carrier’s developers to identify and resolve it w/ Apple.

Sep 17, 2023 9:36 AM in response to SeeingAhead

SeeingAhead wrote:

If you are a user outside India, it doesn’t affect you at all.

With 16.2, iOS started supporting 5g in India. I suspect this is where the problem really started.

Now as per you, clearly the masters at Apple can’t be bothered with even when their code might have issues.

Do you believe you are speaking with anyone from Apple? You aren't. This is a user to user only Forum. Apple doesn't actively participate here, just other users like you. Chattanoogan is giving you advice only users can offer. If Wifi calling isn't working as you expect, that is a service provided by your carrier and it is your carrier you need to work this issue out with.

Wi-Fi Calling on Airplane Mode won’t work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.