Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media Keys Not Working (Previous, Play/Pause, Next)

My keys were working just fine for years on applications like iTunes, Spotify, Chrome etc.

However all of a sudden the keys stopped responding and just those. Every other button on the top row works, just those three do not. I took the MacBook into the Apple Store to have it checked out, they backed up the computer, wiped it, then reinstalled the data onto the device.

After this the keys worked just fine for about 3 hours and then stopped, again just those three.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 5:32 AM

MartinFOCO wrote:

My keys were working just fine for years on applications like iTunes, Spotify, Chrome etc.
However all of a sudden the keys stopped responding and just those. Every other button on the top row works, just those three do not.

I took the MacBook into the Apple Store to have it checked out, they backed up the computer, wiped it, then reinstalled the data onto the device.

After this the keys worked just fine for about 3 hours and then stopped, again just those three.

you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 5:32 AM in response to MartinFOCO

MartinFOCO wrote:

However all of a sudden the keys stopped responding and just those. Every other button on the top row works, just those three do not.

I took the MacBook into the Apple Store to have it checked out, they backed up the computer, wiped it, then reinstalled the data onto the device.

you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Media Keys Not Working (Previous, Play/Pause, Next)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.