Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving music from old EHD to new EHD

I use the Music app (formerly iTunes) with my iMac to organize and play my music files. I need to move my music from an old EHD (which may be beginning to fail) to a new one. Since I only need to do this every few years, I forget what are the correct steps to perform. Apple doesn't seem to have an official "guide" with directions. Can someone provide the necessary steps? IIRC, the Music/iTunes program needs to perform the migration, but it's not obvious how. TIA.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 2:08 PM

As an update, I've found notes I wrote about two years ago on this subject. I trust this is still correct, but if someone wants to look it over, that would be great:

How to move music to new EHD:

Background:

The Music application (formerly named iTunes) works by referencing a file and a folder:

1) a file named Music Library (formerly called iTunes Library.itl,) and 

2) a folder named iTunes Media

The Music Library file is a database of the songs in your library.  It must reside in a specific location: Macintosh HD/Users/(your name)/Music/Music (to find it, in Finder choose Go > Home > Music > iTunes).  Do not move this file from this location (I’m not sure you even can from within the Music application).

Your music is (or should be) in a folder named iTunes Media (it doesn’t have to be named this, as long as you're consistent with pointing the Music app to where the music files are located).  This folder can be anywhere on your computer, whether on your iMac's hard drive or on an EHD, as long as the Music Library file knows where it is.  To direct the Music application to where music files are stored, go to Music>Preferences, and on the Files tab, in the “Music Media folder location” box, make sure the location listed there is where your music files are (or change it to show the correct location).

Steps to move music to new EHD:

1. Make sure you first backup your old EHD and your computer hard drive.
  2. On the new EHD, create a folder named “iTunes” and, within it, create a folder named “iTunes Media.”
  3. From the old EHD to the new EHD, copy all subfolders in the iTunes folder except the iTunes Media folder.
  4. Go to Music>Preferences, and on the Files tab, click the Change button for your iTunes Media folder location, then navigate to and select the iTunes Media folder on the new EHD.  Also, make sure both “Keep Music Media folder organized” and “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” are checked.  Click OK.
  5. A message may say it's updating your iTunes library. It then asks if you would like to move and rename the files in your new iTunes Media folder to match the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" preference. Click Yes.
  6. Once that’s done, you’ve moved the database file.  It’s now time to move your music files to the new EHD.  Go to File>Library>Organize library… Check “Consolidate files”.  Click OK.
  7. The computer will now begin moving the music files.  It will take about 4 hours to complete.  Afterwards, check to make sure everything transferred well.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 2:08 PM in response to Epsilon437-g

As an update, I've found notes I wrote about two years ago on this subject. I trust this is still correct, but if someone wants to look it over, that would be great:

How to move music to new EHD:

Background:

The Music application (formerly named iTunes) works by referencing a file and a folder:

1) a file named Music Library (formerly called iTunes Library.itl,) and 

2) a folder named iTunes Media

The Music Library file is a database of the songs in your library.  It must reside in a specific location: Macintosh HD/Users/(your name)/Music/Music (to find it, in Finder choose Go > Home > Music > iTunes).  Do not move this file from this location (I’m not sure you even can from within the Music application).

Your music is (or should be) in a folder named iTunes Media (it doesn’t have to be named this, as long as you're consistent with pointing the Music app to where the music files are located).  This folder can be anywhere on your computer, whether on your iMac's hard drive or on an EHD, as long as the Music Library file knows where it is.  To direct the Music application to where music files are stored, go to Music>Preferences, and on the Files tab, in the “Music Media folder location” box, make sure the location listed there is where your music files are (or change it to show the correct location).

Steps to move music to new EHD:

1. Make sure you first backup your old EHD and your computer hard drive.
  2. On the new EHD, create a folder named “iTunes” and, within it, create a folder named “iTunes Media.”
  3. From the old EHD to the new EHD, copy all subfolders in the iTunes folder except the iTunes Media folder.
  4. Go to Music>Preferences, and on the Files tab, click the Change button for your iTunes Media folder location, then navigate to and select the iTunes Media folder on the new EHD.  Also, make sure both “Keep Music Media folder organized” and “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” are checked.  Click OK.
  5. A message may say it's updating your iTunes library. It then asks if you would like to move and rename the files in your new iTunes Media folder to match the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" preference. Click Yes.
  6. Once that’s done, you’ve moved the database file.  It’s now time to move your music files to the new EHD.  Go to File>Library>Organize library… Check “Consolidate files”.  Click OK.
  7. The computer will now begin moving the music files.  It will take about 4 hours to complete.  Afterwards, check to make sure everything transferred well.

Mar 18, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Epsilon437-g

I'm amending my instructions to be better and simpler. How to correctly move music from one EHD to another and have that EHD be portable (i.e., easily moved from one computer to another):

1. Make sure you first backup the old EHD and computer hard drive.
  2. Create an empty folder named “Music" in the root of the new EHD.
  3. Copy the “Music Library” file from the old EHD to this Music folder on the new EHD.
    1. Note that if your old EHD isn't portable, the "Music Library" file is on your computer's hard drive. You can find its location listed in Music (iTunes) under Music > Preferences > Files.
  4. Close Music (iTunes) program if it’s open.  Hold down the Option key and open the program again.  It will ask you for the location of the “Music Library” file.  Choose the file on the new EHD.
  5. Go to Music > Preferences > Files > Reset and reset the media folder location to <new EHD>/Music/Media.  This will create a Media folder inside the Music folder.  Make sure both “Keep Music Media folder organized” and “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” are checked.  After clicking OK, you’ll see a window labeled Music/Updating library…
  6. You’ll then see a pop-up window: “Would you like to move and rename the files in your new Media folder to match the “Keep Media folder organized” preference?”  Choose yes.
  7. In the Music (iTunes) program, go to File > Library > Organize Library… and choose Consolidate Files.  This will copy all content (music files) from the old EHD to the new one.  It will take many hours to complete.
  8. This completes the creation of a portable library on the new EHD.  Music (iTunes) can now locate and display your music library on any Mac that has Music (iTunes): simply hold down the Option key when starting the Music program and choose the Music Library file on the EHD.

Moving music from old EHD to new EHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.