Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G drive not mounting on iMac (late 2015)

Hello, I recently, on the advice of an apple consultant, bought the following items: a SanDisk Professional 6TB G-DRIVE to work with my iMac Late 2015 - a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 connector and a Thunderbolt 2 cable to go into my iMac in order to take advantage of the faster speeds of Thunderbolt. However the drive is not mounting using the Thunderbolt cables/connector. It does mount when I use the USBC cable to USB2 - but that is not why I bought the drive! The drive has its own power source. Any advice on how to get this to mount please? Thanks for any help?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 7:13 AM

So you have the G-Drive with thunderbolt3 and USB C Ports? I Ask because i see Gdrives with two thunderbolt 3 ports and one with only the USB C port.

As far as i know. USB C and USB 2/3 work together in both directions. USB C via adapter to Thunderbolt 2 will not work. Only thunderbolt 3 works with that. Oh yeah and in most cases i saw Thunderbolt 3 devices on a thunderbolt 2 Computer don’t work because thunderbolt 2 is not upwards compatible.

since your imac has USB 3 ports you could just get an adapter from USB3.1 (or3.2?) to USB C. The bottleneck concerning speed is the hard drive anyway. It will cap at about 200mb/s so every cable after USB 3 is way enough.

Measure with blackmagic disk speed test.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 7:13 AM in response to joanna144

So you have the G-Drive with thunderbolt3 and USB C Ports? I Ask because i see Gdrives with two thunderbolt 3 ports and one with only the USB C port.

As far as i know. USB C and USB 2/3 work together in both directions. USB C via adapter to Thunderbolt 2 will not work. Only thunderbolt 3 works with that. Oh yeah and in most cases i saw Thunderbolt 3 devices on a thunderbolt 2 Computer don’t work because thunderbolt 2 is not upwards compatible.

since your imac has USB 3 ports you could just get an adapter from USB3.1 (or3.2?) to USB C. The bottleneck concerning speed is the hard drive anyway. It will cap at about 200mb/s so every cable after USB 3 is way enough.

Measure with blackmagic disk speed test.

G drive not mounting on iMac (late 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.