Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac freezes when transferring data to Kingston DataTraveler Max

Hello,

i've just bought a DataTraveler Max for it's connectivity and transfer speeds. But there seems to be a problem when using it on my M1 MacBook Air (OS 12.2.1).

After about 4GB the transfer to the flashdrive the completely freezes, without cause. Stopping the transfer hangs. Removing the drive also hangs. The only way to unfreeze the Finder is to forcefully unplug the drive. The result is always the same. Not very useful when transferring large quantities of files.

When using an Intel Mac (OS 12.2.1) no such problems occur.

I've contacted Kingston with the same question.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix (on the way)?

Thank you for the reply.

with kind regards

Jonathan

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:33 AM

For some reason it seems to have fixed itself. I'm quite baffled.

I've been keeping on trying: Copying files until the transfer stalls. Rebooting de computer. Reformatting the flashdrive. And repeating. Each time using a different drive name, to keep things interesting.

And with my last attempt, it just kept going. As I was watching the transfers go by. Once in a while it would freeze for a second or so. But that's quite normal.

On another note: while typing this message, a reply came in from Kingston. They have no knowledge of this being a problem. And suggest me getting in contact with Apple (through a provided link), as it must be an issue on that end. And evidently the solution must come from that end.

To conclude, as the bulk of my data is now on the drive. I don't foresee any issues when doing an incremental update of the files.

Thanks to everyone who made effort in helping getting this drive operational.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 5:33 AM in response to jonathan.de.berdt

For some reason it seems to have fixed itself. I'm quite baffled.

I've been keeping on trying: Copying files until the transfer stalls. Rebooting de computer. Reformatting the flashdrive. And repeating. Each time using a different drive name, to keep things interesting.

And with my last attempt, it just kept going. As I was watching the transfers go by. Once in a while it would freeze for a second or so. But that's quite normal.

On another note: while typing this message, a reply came in from Kingston. They have no knowledge of this being a problem. And suggest me getting in contact with Apple (through a provided link), as it must be an issue on that end. And evidently the solution must come from that end.

To conclude, as the bulk of my data is now on the drive. I don't foresee any issues when doing an incremental update of the files.

Thanks to everyone who made effort in helping getting this drive operational.

Mar 14, 2022 8:49 AM in response to jonathan.de.berdt

Hey jonathan.de.berdt,

Running First Aid with Disk Utility on the drive could lead to a resolution of the issue. You can do this with the following steps. 

1. Open the Disk Utility app. 

2. In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.

3. In the sidebar, select a volume, then click the First Aid button.

4. In the First Aid dialogue, click Run, then follow the on-screen instructions.

5. When the First Aid process is complete, click Done.

6. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each volume on the storage device.

7. In the sidebar, select a container, then click the First Aid button.

8. In the First Aid dialogue, click Run, then follow the on-screen instructions.

9. When the First Aid process is complete, click Done.

10. Repeat steps 6 through 8 for each container on the storage device.

11. In the sidebar, select the storage device, then click the First Aid button.

12. In the First Aid dialogue, click Run, then follow the on-screen instructions.

13. When the First Aid process is complete, click Done.

You can read more here:

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Take care.

Mar 14, 2022 11:36 AM in response to barberlives123

Hello,

first of all: thank you for this extensive and easy-to-follow reply.

As a rule I format any drive I buy. I've even done so a second time in my trials. As a conquence, the suggestion steps only fixed minor issues.

As to continue my investigation I now have formatted the drive to exFAT in stead of Mac OS Journaled. But alas this made things even worse. I was no able to copy anything.

Now I've tried formatting the container (to Mac OS Journaled) in stead of just the volume. By resetting the volume once again, I was once more able to transfer about 10-12 gigs before the phenomenon reappeared.

It feels like there's a buffer somewhere on the Mac that fills up and then freezes the transfer once it needs to offload onto the device.

with kind regards

Jonathan

Mar 14, 2022 11:58 AM in response to jonathan.de.berdt

Hey Jonathan.

Did you by chance hear back from the maker of the drive? If so, did they have any insight at all? Does it function properly if you transfer files in smaller chunks, rather than the 10+GB chunks you've attempted so far? If you have, was the result different? If you haven't tried that yet, see if a smaller chunk of data transfers successfully and let us know what you find out.

Be well.

Mar 15, 2022 12:32 AM in response to Brian_P7

Hello,

at the moment the manufacturer is requesting additional information. When I do get a reply, I will keep this discussion updated.

As to copying smaller set of files. I have been successful in copying some files. They appear when checking with my other Mac.

Problem is that there is a lot of margin when the 'freeze' occurs. I've seen stalling at 100 MB but at 10,90 GB as well. Which makes it hard to decide how big the chunk of files should be, to transfer successfully.

Also very unpractical to use this drive as an external backup for about 300 GB of files.

M1 Mac freezes when transferring data to Kingston DataTraveler Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.