Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Messages across devices

so i have messages on my iphone and macbook. all messages do indeed go to both devices. problem is when i delete a conversation or thread on one device, it doesn't delete it from the other. trying to clear out all the political campaigns and fedex tracking updates is double duty.

any way to set these up so deleting on one does the job on both?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 12:11 PM

To have both devices stay in sync, you need to set up Messages (iMessage) in iCloud. Both devices need to be signed in to the same Apple ID. Then all messages should be kept identical. If you have already done this, then try logging out from iCloud on both devices and then logging in again. Check that both are configured for Messages in iCloud.

If you are not using iCloud for Messages, then with message forwarding (configured on the iPhone and on the Mac) you will see both received and sent messages on both devices, but when you delete something from one device, it won't delete from the other.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 12:11 PM in response to jas0nlev1n

To have both devices stay in sync, you need to set up Messages (iMessage) in iCloud. Both devices need to be signed in to the same Apple ID. Then all messages should be kept identical. If you have already done this, then try logging out from iCloud on both devices and then logging in again. Check that both are configured for Messages in iCloud.

If you are not using iCloud for Messages, then with message forwarding (configured on the iPhone and on the Mac) you will see both received and sent messages on both devices, but when you delete something from one device, it won't delete from the other.

Sync Messages across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.