Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A compatible version of iMovie for a 2011 iMac?

I have a functioning 2011 iMac. Because the drive was once wiped, it does not currently have iMovie installed. Unfortunately, it will not run iMovie 10, which is what I am directed to in the Mac App Store when I run a Spotlight search for iMovie, because the latest OS it supports is MacOS High Sierra.

Since iMovie and the other iLife apps were part of the original purchase price of the computer, and since it did not come with any install DVDs, it seems there should be a way to download a compatible version of iMovie for as long as the device runs. How would I do this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:35 PM

As long as iMovie 10 was on your computer at one point in time, even though later deleted, you might be able to obtain the highest version of iMovie that your operating system will run. Not sure what effect that wiping the Mac would have. However, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You

will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 5:35 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

As long as iMovie 10 was on your computer at one point in time, even though later deleted, you might be able to obtain the highest version of iMovie that your operating system will run. Not sure what effect that wiping the Mac would have. However, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You

will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Mar 15, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

Yes, I realize that you will not be able to download the most current iMovie version unless you upgraded your operating system to Monterey, that you are unable to do. The procedure that I suggested may be able to let you obtain the highest version of iMovie 10 that your present operating system can run. So if you have not done so, it doesn't hurt to try the procedure.

If still no luck, take a look at this thread where the poster there who was running High Sierra was able to obtain iMovie 10.

iMovie for High Sierra 10.13.6 ???? - Apple Community

-- Rich

A compatible version of iMovie for a 2011 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.