Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone does not ALWAYS ring, same number

Answers so far do not address the question: How come the same number sometimes rings the phone and sometimes goes to voicemail? Same settings. Same phone. Nothing different. Verizon Wireless is the carrier. Apple is the iPhone. Just now, again, it happened. A call I was waiting for came in but silently went to voice mail. I called them and had them call me right back. That time it rang.

What's up with that? This happens with others, too, who are in my CONTACT list so they are known and their name/photos pop up when the phone call comes in ONLY if I am holding the phone and looking at it do I see that call come in. No ring, no vibrate, no sounds.

Then I say, Hang up and call me again. This time, guess what? It rings.

Who out there knows why this happens?

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 10:54 AM

Hi TheCommunicators,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. If you haven't already, try restarting your iPhone. Restarting is a simple step that can resolve many unexpected behaviors.

Restart your iPhone

If the issue persists, make sure that you have the latest software and carrier settings on the iPhone.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Let us know the results. Do you have any call filtering apps installed? Be sure to include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 10:54 AM in response to TheCommunicators

Hi TheCommunicators,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. If you haven't already, try restarting your iPhone. Restarting is a simple step that can resolve many unexpected behaviors.

Restart your iPhone

If the issue persists, make sure that you have the latest software and carrier settings on the iPhone.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Let us know the results. Do you have any call filtering apps installed? Be sure to include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Mar 15, 2022 11:04 AM in response to TheCommunicators

Did the missed call appear in your Recents list? If it did not the call did not reach your phone; it was intercepted by your carrier. That would be a problem with either the caller’s network or yours.

If it did appear in Recents then most likely you have a Focus setting that has enabled Do Not Disturb. One feature of DND is if the same number calls you twice within 3 minutes the second time it connects.

Mar 15, 2022 12:36 PM in response to TheCommunicators

Open Settings and tap on Focus, which is how iOS 15 manages Do Not Disturb. You can have different DND settings for different situations such as Driving, Work, personal time, etc. tap on each of the options and turn it off. If any were on that was the cause of your issue. If there are any scenarios there that you will never use you can delete them (you can add them back in the future, if you change your mind).

iPhone does not ALWAYS ring, same number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.