Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari hangs consistently

Ever since installing Monterey, Safari hangs consistently for me. I suspected it was Private Relay, but I have completely disabled it. I have also disabled the "Hide IP from Trackers" in preferences and I'm not running any extensions. It happens multiple times per day which makes Safari completely unreliable. Sometimes it hangs when using the address bar to search while other times it just hangs when going to a website I often use (Amazon, Yahoo, Google, etc.). The only solution is to Quit Safari and relaunch.

It's almost like something in Safari gets clogged because using another browser always works. It has nothing to do with the network because Firefox and Chrome always work perfectly. I've waited for a fix through multiple MacOS updates but the bug is still there. I just upgraded to Monterey 12.3 today and Safari is still hanging. This is very annoying.

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 3:21 AM

Go step by step and test.

1. Force Quit Safari, launch Safari holding the Shift key down.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

2. Startup in Safe Mode. 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.  

Quote:

It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and 

the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

3. Clear History

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Please read the article before clearing history, 

this is like a low level resetting of Safari without affecting passwords and bookmarks.

4. If Safari doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 3:21 AM in response to cmp101

Go step by step and test.

1. Force Quit Safari, launch Safari holding the Shift key down.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

2. Startup in Safe Mode. 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.  

Quote:

It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and 

the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

3. Clear History

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Please read the article before clearing history, 

this is like a low level resetting of Safari without affecting passwords and bookmarks.

4. If Safari doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected - Apple Support

Mar 24, 2022 6:37 AM in response to dominic23

I have the same problem as the initial thread, but only since Safari 15.4 on macOS 12.3, and now I can't even go to apple.com 95% of the time! The behavior seems erratic...sometimes a website that was opening will work, and then it just hangs the next time I try to visit it. Sometimes if I open a website that ALWAYS works (why amazon.com????), a website that wasn't working right before that will open.

Like the opening remarks, another browser always works perfectly.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems or have any idea what is going on?

This feels like one of those "Come on Apple, get it together things," but I would be happy to try anything short of a complete reinstall, which I just don't need at the moment!

Apr 4, 2022 3:29 PM in response to rjriv

The fix I suggested earlier helps, but doesn't work completely. After unchecking the "Hide IP address from trackers" box Safari hangs much less frequently for me, but still hangs on occasion. With the box checked it was hanging at least 1-2 times per day. Since unchecking it Safari hangs every couple of days. This bug is extremely annoying.

BTW I also tried erasing all history and booting in Safe Mode. No dice.

Safari hangs consistently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.