Safari slow as a herd of turtles

I often have to close safari on my Mac and start over because it seems to freeze up before it finds what I'm searching for. I can do the same search on Google Chrome or Firefox without this behaviour. What can I do to get safari working usefully? I don't think it's my ISP or the sites I'm going to. I can go to the same sites with Firefox or Chrome very quickly. But Safari gets them part way open and stalls. I have a 150 Mbps fibre connection that shows 175 Mpbs on speed test.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:19 AM

Wascally Wabbit wrote:

I often have to close safari on my Mac and start over because it seems to freeze up before it finds what I'm searching for. I can do the same search on Google Chrome or Firefox without this behaviour.

Verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

If no insight—

Try disabling any add-ons or extension in your Safari.app and compare your results..

Safari>Settings>Extensions

Quit Safari and relaunch it holding the Shift key down and compare your results...

If no resolve I would use a browser that does work without issue.

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Wascally Wabbit

Wascally Wabbit wrote:

I often have to close safari on my Mac and start over because it seems to freeze up before it finds what I'm searching for. I can do the same search on Google Chrome or Firefox without this behaviour.

Verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

If no insight—

Try disabling any add-ons or extension in your Safari.app and compare your results..

Safari>Settings>Extensions

Quit Safari and relaunch it holding the Shift key down and compare your results...

If no resolve I would use a browser that does work without issue.

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Safari slow as a herd of turtles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.