Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music cache might be the reason for crashes of my MacMini M1. Is there a solution?

Since I use Monterey I have massive problems when I use the iTunes Store of Apple Music. I asked for help before: iTunes Store / Music crashes Mac OS Monte… - Apple Community , but no one could really help me. Yesterday I updated to MacOS 12.3. The problem is still there, but I might have localized what causes the crashes. For the first time a pop-up appeared asking me to force quit apps that are not in use, as there is no more space left in the app cache. This should be done to avoid problems with the computer (Picture 1). At this point the computer becomes pretty unresponsive and I have to pull the plug and start again.

After the restart I opened the cache dropdown window of the app "iStat Menus". I played several songs in the iTunes Store and could see the free space of the general cache getting smaller and smaller with every song sample played. Under app process, "Apple Music" used more than 550 MB of cache, using more and more. It seems that it comes to the point where the free space of the cache is gone. Picture 2:

I tried to find an article that could help me, but found none. I searched around and found out, that the folder User > Library > Caches > com.apple.Music > WebKit > NetworkCache > Version 16 is 1.9 GB large and contains 2 folders and 1 file. The first folder is named Blobs, contains 9.850 files and is 708 MB large. The second folders name is "Records" > "12AD6EC..." > "Resource" and contains over 51.000 files. This folder is 1.9 GB large. The file in the folder "Version 16" is named "salt". Can I delete these 3 files & folders? What can I do to prevent the iTunes store using all the cache until the Mac crashes? And this after just some song samples played? Thanks for any advise!

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:26 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 16, 2022 7:53 AM in response to Cupertino_we_have_a_problem

Hi Cupertino_we_have_a_problem,

If you haven't already, you'll want to follow the steps and guidance linked below to troubleshoot the Music app.

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

You'll then want to test for the same behavior while in safe mode, following these steps.

Start up your Mac in safe mode

"Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you determine whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. For details about using safe mode on an Intel-based Mac or on a Mac with Apple silicon, see the Apple Support article How to use safe mode on your Mac."

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2022 12:46 AM in response to Chris_C1

Hello Chris_C1,

thank you for your reply! I've tried your steps before, but couldn't find a solution for the problems. Yesterday I reinstalled Monterey (for the second time) and will see, if the problems remain. It seems, that Monterey is one of the MacOS versions with more bugs (reminds me of Mac OS 10.5). If the problems remain I'll go to an Apple Store as I've wasted too much time already on different problems with my Mac Mini M1. In the end it might be a hardware issue.

Mar 18, 2022 6:43 AM in response to merlinapple

Hello merlinapple,

thanks for your reply! I did a reinstall of Monterey. I hold the start button long and when the options window appeared I chose "Reinstall Monterey". It was not from a backup. I haven't tried the iTunes Music Store so far as I fear that the problems will return. I had not these problems with BigSur. There had been major changes under the surface of Apple Music (webkit?), but someone wrote, it wasn't applied so far. Maybe this causes the problems for some people like me? I will continue to buy music via the iPhone or the iPad and will not use the iTunesMusic Store on the MacMini.

Apple Music cache might be the reason for crashes of my MacMini M1. Is there a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.