Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Esc key not working for normal cancel/escape functions?

Using the keyboard viewer from the menu bar, I can see that the Esc is registering when pressed (i.e., this is not a hardware issue), but it is not performing the normal functions, such as:

• Canceling / exiting out of Spotlight
  • Canceling a screenshot selection
  • Escaping from having the cursor in address bar in Safari

Why is this and how can I fix this / restore typical expected escape behavior of the Esc key that I have on a different Macbook with macOS Big Sur.

Device: MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021)

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:32 AM

user508 wrote:

• Using the keyboard viewer from the menu bar, I can see that the Esc is registering when pressed (i.e., this is not a hardware issue), but it is not performing the normal functions, such as:
Canceling / exiting out of Spotlight

Why is this and how can I fix this / restore typical expected escape behavior of the Esc key that I have on a different Macbook with macOS Big Sur.

Those are interesting uses of the "Escape key" which I have never used in over 13 years...

On the M1 —

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

if no insight or resolve:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 6:32 AM in response to user508

user508 wrote:

• Using the keyboard viewer from the menu bar, I can see that the Esc is registering when pressed (i.e., this is not a hardware issue), but it is not performing the normal functions, such as:
Canceling / exiting out of Spotlight

Those are interesting uses of the "Escape key" which I have never used in over 13 years...

On the M1 —

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

if no insight or resolve:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Esc key not working for normal cancel/escape functions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.