Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Esc key not working on Mac OS 12.4 MacBook Air

I was probably messing around with the keys, or my cat walked on the keyboard, and for the past several days I can't shrink a full-screen window by pressing the 'esc' key.

Can someone help me get it back?

Thanks!

Julie

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 10:00 PM

Julie Carneiro Said:

"Esc key not working on Mac OS 12.4 MacBook Air: I was probably messing around with the keys, or my cat walked on the keyboard, and for the past several days I can't shrink a full-screen window by pressing the 'esc' key. Can someone help me get it back? Thanks! Julie"

-------

Getting Keys to Work:

Use an External Keyboard:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac (applies to Intel-based Macs only). As for connecting it, you may need this adapter, if the keyboard has not USB-C plug in it USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 10:00 PM in response to Julie Carneiro

Julie Carneiro Said:

"Esc key not working on Mac OS 12.4 MacBook Air: I was probably messing around with the keys, or my cat walked on the keyboard, and for the past several days I can't shrink a full-screen window by pressing the 'esc' key. Can someone help me get it back? Thanks! Julie"

-------

Getting Keys to Work:

Use an External Keyboard:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac (applies to Intel-based Macs only). As for connecting it, you may need this adapter, if the keyboard has not USB-C plug in it USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Aug 1, 2022 11:36 PM in response to Julie Carneiro

Julie Carneiro Said:

"Esc key not working on Mac OS 12.4 MacBook Air:

-------

Thank you for the followup reply.

Q1. "I don't have an external keyboard to try"

A1. Getting a Keyboard: Ask someone else if you may use theirs.

Q2. "so I'm not seeing what resetting the SMC or NVRAM would do except that it's been overheating almost since I got it, to the point of freezing and requiring a hard reboot."

A2. About Resetting the SMC or NVRAM: This will get the caches set to where they should be and keyboard configurations confined to certain keys's settings.

Q3. "But I really think that it's something my cat or I pressed that changed a setting. Unless I get another hint, I may be doing a heartfelt system reinstall later. First, to install OS 12.5 ..."

A3. Reinstall the macOS: Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once mor

Aug 1, 2022 11:19 PM in response to TheLittles

Umm ... yeah ... it's a MacBook Air, 1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5. I don't have an external keyboard to try, so I'm not seeing what resetting the SMC or NVRAM would do except that it's been overheating almost since I got it, to the point of freezing and requiring a hard reboot.

But I really think that it's something my cat or I pressed that changed a setting. Unless I get another hint, I may be doing a heartfelt system reinstall later. First, to install OS 12.5 ...

Thanks!

Julie

Aug 1, 2022 11:55 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks, TheLittles!

Don't know anyone with an external Mac (or other) Keyboard. If I can find one I'd love to reset the SMC or NVRAM before I take it into an Apple Store for the overheating issue.

I've already backed it up via Time Machine - thanks for the reminder!

Oddly, it now works when I have a fullscreen YouTube video, but I have no idea why.

Thanks again!

Julie

Esc key not working on Mac OS 12.4 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.