Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS 15.4 iPhone keeps crashing, bricking, freezing

This morning, I updated my iPhone 13 Pro to iOS 15.4.

Since then, it has crashed so many times today, and I don't know what is wrong with it at all.

Some causes of a crash/brick/freeze were:

• Clicking a notification on the lock screen. No animation happens, but the screen is stuck directly after.
  • Multitasking from within Safari
  • Multitasking from the app screen (springboard?)
  • Clicking on the "send" button in Whatsapp
  • Clicking on something in Facebook Messenger

In all cases, it won't resume. What does happen:

1. The screen freezes completely for a few dozen seconds in the state it crashes in. Can't even lock the screen using the power button.
  2. Then, the screen turns black.
  3. Sometimes, it will start by itself after. First black for a minute, then a spinner icon, unresponsive and black screen for a minute, then the Apple logo appears and I need to enter my code again.
  4. Sometimes, it will stay black and only restart after I reset it manually using the first item in this instruction: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support
  5. Then, I must enter my passcode and the phone can be used normally again (until the problem appears again).

I even noticed a few times the phone crashed without doing anything! It literally happened during writing this message. It just restarts by itself, when it's just in standby, screen off, on the desk next to me. I see a loading spinner for a few minutes. The screen is black and will stay black. Then Apple logo appears. Then I need to enter my passcode again.

What could be the problem? It's driving me crazy, I can't trust this phone currently.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 1:50 AM

Make an appointment to have your iPhone examined:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

The new version of iOS may have revealed a previously existing hardware issue in your phone.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 16, 2022 12:07 AM in response to boogaardt

Every time after the phone restarts, I get 2 notifications about Facetime (may cost money to activate) and iCloud (may cost money to activate). I also get them twice both, because I use esim and physical sim probably. Maybe this is an important clue? But as soon as I have clicked on OK, or sometimes even before that, the phone freezes.

Also the phone gets really hot when it's on.

Since iOS 15.4 iPhone keeps crashing, bricking, freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.