Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tri-tone instead of set sounds for e-mails

Since I updated my iPhone Xs to iOS 15.4 there’s been an issue with the notification sounds. I use both the Mail and the Gmail app and before, they played different sounds for incoming e-mails. I set ‘Ding’ as the sound for Mail and two separate Gmail sounds (one for each e-mail address, to hear the difference between work and private mails). The latter is set through the Gmail app itself. Since the update though, I hear the tri-tone when an e-mail comes in and I don’t even see a badge or notification. Only when I open one of the e-mail apps, does the e-mail come in. I don’t understand why the tri-tone is overriding all my set notification sounds. Is anyone having the same issue?

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 4:06 AM

Okay, I’ve tried many things so far, including deleting the Mail and the Gmail app and redownloading them, deleting all my e-mail accounts and adding them again, and removing the apps separately to figure out which was giving the notification. And I found two things. First of all, iPhone now offers the option to set different notification sounds for each e-mail address (I think this is new?) and I saw that I had ‘alerts’ switched off. But the tri-tone sound actually turned out to come from the Gmail app and I found that there’s a bug in the notification settings on iPhone when it comes to Gmail. If I allow notifications and turn on sounds and badges, but NOT (visual) alerts on the lock screen, in the Notification Center and in banners, the sound is defaulted to tri-tone instead of the sounds I set through the Gmail app! If I turn on either of the visual alerts (like banners), my customized sounds work again. Super weird, it wasn’t like this before the iOS update! See screenshot. Notifications are on, sounds are on, but I hear the tri-tone instead of my customized Gmail sounds. Where can I report this bug to be fixed?

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 4:06 AM in response to LanguageLaura

Okay, I’ve tried many things so far, including deleting the Mail and the Gmail app and redownloading them, deleting all my e-mail accounts and adding them again, and removing the apps separately to figure out which was giving the notification. And I found two things. First of all, iPhone now offers the option to set different notification sounds for each e-mail address (I think this is new?) and I saw that I had ‘alerts’ switched off. But the tri-tone sound actually turned out to come from the Gmail app and I found that there’s a bug in the notification settings on iPhone when it comes to Gmail. If I allow notifications and turn on sounds and badges, but NOT (visual) alerts on the lock screen, in the Notification Center and in banners, the sound is defaulted to tri-tone instead of the sounds I set through the Gmail app! If I turn on either of the visual alerts (like banners), my customized sounds work again. Super weird, it wasn’t like this before the iOS update! See screenshot. Notifications are on, sounds are on, but I hear the tri-tone instead of my customized Gmail sounds. Where can I report this bug to be fixed?

Mar 19, 2022 11:40 AM in response to Arlo Pear

I currently have the perfect combination for what I'm after*

Gmail App custom sound

and the below for the Gmail App in the iOS Notification settings

* Yes, this is a workaround and totally illogical re. the visual alerts. But I actually never see the Notification Center alerts, since I have the lock screen set to never show previews.

Works for me.

Mar 18, 2022 2:25 PM in response to nadworks

LanguageLaura's fix worked for me too. I did find that if I turned off sound notifications in the actual Gmail app under settings (bottom of list), left both Gmail and Apple Mail IOS notification settings checked with the banners, I received the actual sound I selected within the iphone settings under Notifications, Mail, Customize Notifications at the bottom of the page. In my case using 'Keys'. Using this and then checking a sound within the actual Gmail app , I got all 3 notification sounds. LanguageLaura.......Kudos to you on this discovery and fix!

Mar 18, 2022 3:03 PM in response to bobkravetz

Since, I was getting the tone I wanted sending Gmail ios to Gmail osx and the banner message was coming up twice and not always the same time as the tone. The tone was what I set under ios notifications. It didn't last for long unless there really is a long long tone delay. No luck. I set a gmail sound within the gmail app again that came through when sending from gmail to icloud, but no more of the apple sounds. Oh wait 1/2 hr later. Mail from phone gmail to osx gmail gave the gmail tone on one popup and the apple tone on the second popup from the same email........ LanguageLaura, your fix is still good, it's someone out there messing with us.

Mar 18, 2022 6:55 PM in response to weeria

Pending the real fix, I'm working with the iOS settings/notifications/Mail/ custom notifications set for alert, banner, sound and badge for Gmail and only a badge, no sound and no alert, no banner for the iCloud email. Incoming Gmails use whatever sound I set within the settings of the actual Gmail app located at the bottom of all the folders. Least it's a workaround for now. Better than no sounds.

Mar 19, 2022 11:29 AM in response to bobkravetz

Glad to hear so many are able to replicate this. I currently have the sound alert all turned off...the visual alerts for emails is just a dealbreaker for me....I don't suppose anyone has found a combination/recipe that allows for preferred sounds w/o any visual alerts? ....I guess that would technically be the fix though. Anyway...I guess we wait.

Mar 19, 2022 12:42 PM in response to stuartnc

GMail settings/ notification sounds set to NONE. iPhone settings/notifications/ Mail (Apple)/notifications on, sounds on, lock screen,notification center and banner unchecked. Badges on. Gmail notifications on, lock screen, notification center both unchecked and sounds on which results in apple selected sound being heard, but no badges. Include a checked banner as LanguageLaura found and I'll get the apple sound, a badge count and a quick drop down temp banner which disappears.

Mar 27, 2022 9:06 PM in response to LanguageLaura

Are you guys aware of any fix for the issue I’m having with getting endless notification sounds with no notification? It just won’t stop. It’s frustrating. Its the tri tone sound and I thought it was my voicemail acting up so I changed the tone to see and it’s still the tri tone. No idea. Ive re started, shut down etc and it’s not stopping. Seems like all the research I do, no one gets it resolved.

Mar 31, 2022 1:46 PM in response to LanguageLaura

Thank you! This worked! This has been confusing me for days!!! First, my badges disappeared. Then, I was getting the tri-tone or whatever it's called and could not figure out what was causing it. I have my Gmail app set to the classic sound. Somehow my badges came back, but the sound remained the wrong notification. Once I saw the badges, I realized the sound was wrong so I started Googling and found these posts.

I added banner preview and then never so I don't have to see them.

Seems like Google is lagging behind Apple's updates.

Tri-tone instead of set sounds for e-mails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.