Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect email default

I am having problems with the apple mail desktop application.

I have my default icloud mail account plus a number of additional google mail accounts setup.

The problem is when I reply to an email sent to me at my default iCloud account my 'From' account dropdown switches to one of my google mail accounts. When I try to select my iCloud account for the dropdown it is missing.

I have tried taking the google mail accounts off-line as a short-term fix however I do need these back online for work.

This is very frustrating please can anyone help and/or advise

Thanks

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:43 AM

There are say three gmail accounts added in Mac system preferences whose mail address are .

( a ) example1@gmail.com

( b ) example2@gmail.com

( c ) example3@gmail.com

Another default iCloud mail account whose mail address is example4@icloud.com that is also added in internet accounts .

From three gmail accounts one of the gmail address is an Apple ID signed in Mac system preferences , so when you receive a mail from example4@icloud.com and you compose a mail when you click on drop down arrows one of the gmail address say example1@gmail.com that is an Apple ID will be visible .

See the article Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support

• In Mail (macOS Monterey 12.1 or later): open a new message window. In the From field, choose Hide My Email in the pop-up menu.

Create and edit Hide My Email addresses on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Change the forwarding address

Every unique, random address you create with Hide My Email is forwarded to the same email address. You can change the forwarding address at any time.

1. On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Manage in the Hide My Email section.
  2. Scroll to the “Forward to” section, then choose a different address.
  3. The “Forward to” section is below your list of active addresses and above your inactive addresses.

Note: You can forward your unique random addresses to an email address associated with your Apple ID. To add or remove an address, go to the Apple ID account website.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 8:43 AM in response to bagsatdawn

There are say three gmail accounts added in Mac system preferences whose mail address are .

( a ) example1@gmail.com

( b ) example2@gmail.com

( c ) example3@gmail.com

Another default iCloud mail account whose mail address is example4@icloud.com that is also added in internet accounts .

From three gmail accounts one of the gmail address is an Apple ID signed in Mac system preferences , so when you receive a mail from example4@icloud.com and you compose a mail when you click on drop down arrows one of the gmail address say example1@gmail.com that is an Apple ID will be visible .

See the article Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support

• In Mail (macOS Monterey 12.1 or later): open a new message window. In the From field, choose Hide My Email in the pop-up menu.

Create and edit Hide My Email addresses on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Change the forwarding address

Every unique, random address you create with Hide My Email is forwarded to the same email address. You can change the forwarding address at any time.

1. On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Manage in the Hide My Email section.
  2. Scroll to the “Forward to” section, then choose a different address.
  3. The “Forward to” section is below your list of active addresses and above your inactive addresses.

Note: You can forward your unique random addresses to an email address associated with your Apple ID. To add or remove an address, go to the Apple ID account website.

Incorrect email default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.