Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Charge Phone by Connecting to iMac

iMac OS 11.6.4 running on a 2014 5K model

iOS 15.3.1

When I connect the phone to the Mac, under Locations in the Finder sidebar, MyName Phone keeps flashing and on the phone the lighting bolt icon indicating charging, also flashes. This never stops and the phone does not charge in the process. What is going on?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:24 AM

11 replies

Mar 16, 2022 9:04 AM in response to Raicya

Yes indeed and the connection is directly into the back of the iMac - not a hub. I would be very happy with cutting off the syncing process since I don't need a sync when I connect the two. I only connect to charge the phone. How can I cut off syncing? Which presumably would leave me with charging only and thus avoid this constant oscillating.

Mar 16, 2022 10:05 AM in response to Raicya

Yes - I just connected my iPad to the iMac and - Do You Trust This Computer - came up on the iPad screen. I tapped yes and the lightning bolt showed up on the iPad, indicating that it's charging and just like with the iPhone, the lightning bolt flashes and emits a small sound with each flash - exactly the same as with the iPhone. So neither device seems to be able to be charged from the iMac.

Mar 16, 2022 11:46 AM in response to Raicya

Unfortunately no and I'm not willing to buy another one just to test out whether that is the problem here. I think the issue may be that it is trying to sync and can't. Do you know what I can do to change the settings (on the iMac or the iPhone) so that when I connect the two, the phone does not try to sync?

Mar 17, 2022 8:42 AM in response to Raicya

Wow! Thank you so much! A simple solution to the problem if you know what you are doing which I obviously did not. This worked beautifully - I can now connect the phone and the iMac without all the weirdness I experienced previously and the phone just charges quietly overnight. Thanks again for your patience with all the back and forth. We got the desired result in the end.

Can't Charge Phone by Connecting to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.