Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering on TV+ app when using subtitles

While using the TV+ app I noticed a lot of flickering, and couldn't figure out what was causing it. I first noticed it while watching CODA and thought it was a streaming issue to do with the quality adjusting while streaming, so I tried downloading it and turning off WiFi but this didn't make a difference.

Now I just started watching Dr. Brain in Korean with English subtitles and ran into the same issue. Then I noticed that the screen would flash black after a subtitle line would disappear. This always happened when the line left, and at no other times. As CODA also contains a large amount of subtitles and these are the only two films/shows I've noticed this issue on, the cause has to be the subtitles. When I turned off subtitles for Dr. Brain, the issue was resolved.

How do I watch something with subtitles without having constant flickering?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 4:45 AM

Is this happening in the TV app on your Mac, or on a different device?

For your Mac, is the issue the same for windowed or full screen? Not as a solution per se, but for diagnostics.

For your Mac, are you watching on the build-in monitor? External monitors can cause issues of their own.

Else please contact Apple Support about this. They may be able to tell if this is a known issue/hardware fault for your specific model MBP.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 4:45 AM in response to jcbebrdly

Is this happening in the TV app on your Mac, or on a different device?

For your Mac, is the issue the same for windowed or full screen? Not as a solution per se, but for diagnostics.

For your Mac, are you watching on the build-in monitor? External monitors can cause issues of their own.

Else please contact Apple Support about this. They may be able to tell if this is a known issue/hardware fault for your specific model MBP.

Flickering on TV+ app when using subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.