Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12.3 update breaks external monitor on mac mini 2018

Is there an official workaround for this yet? I've seen multiple posts on non-Apple forums. The only solution that seems to work is to dial back DisplayPort driver from 1.4 back to 1.2 - I'm not sure how to do this safely.

Original Problem: External monitor displays correctly on boot until login sequence - at end of login, instead of displaying the desktop, the display goes black and reports no signal. Display works if booting into Safe Mode, but monitor cannot be switched to desired resolution through Display control panel. When screen is black, I can still connect to the Mini through Screen Sharing, but cannot get screen to display. BenQ PD3220U is connected to 2018 Mac Mini via Thunderbolt USB-C cable (and was working just fine prior to the update).

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 6:08 AM

Problem resolved with 12.3.1 update. OS updates had been relatively stable over the last several years (for me at least), It's been awhile since I've been so burned by a premature update - guess I need to start being paranoid again. What a pain in the butt.

Similar questions

13 replies

Mar 17, 2022 9:53 AM in response to grumpyseagull

Since Safe mode works and therefore Safe Mode will only load the barebones native Apple Kernel extensions - it is reasonable to conclude there is some more involved in this issue.

Not sure of direction other to take other to ask is there any Third Party Software directly involved in operating this Benq Monitor

Outside of that - maybe a more Learned Collegue with better Hardware knowledge will pickup up your question and have more insights

Mar 20, 2022 11:37 AM in response to grumpyseagull

I have a 2018 Mac Mini, connected to two external 27" LG displays. The set-up was working fine pre-12.3. After 12.3, at best I could get one monitor recognised, but even that was more by luck. Most of the time, I had the black screen after boot, as reported by OP. Also as reported, safe mode was ok to at least get a working display.

I also suspected that I might have 3rd party software that was unfortunately interferring with the MacOS update. So I reformatted my drive, deleting everything from the computer, and reinstalled MacOS. No difference. Still not working.

Switching connections between thunderbolt, usbc and HDMI yeilded no satisfactory results.

Then I found this article and switched my monitors from Displayport 1.4 to Displayport 1.2, as per the suggestion. This worked.

So, I would suggest from this that the problem is unlikely to be related to 3rd party, user installed software and more likely solely related to Apple's update.

The question is surely: why does an Apple update require the downgrade of Displayport version to fix things? This is wholly unacceptable.

Mar 21, 2022 9:27 AM in response to grumpyseagull

My 2019 MacBook Pro just upgraded to 12.3 and I can not longer use my BenQ PD3220U. I have downgraded the monitor to DP 1.2, but this does not help for me.

My experience is when the monitor is connected, the MacBook display goes black and then dim and cycles thru these two states while something takes up background CPU usage, causing the fans to come on. The BenQ remains off with no signal detected and I can't do anything on the Macbook. Keyboard and mouse frozen. I have to unplug the Thunderport cable to be able to use the MacBook again.

Mar 22, 2022 6:24 AM in response to Mal-S

Unfortunately the BenQ PD3220U does not have a DVI or VGA, just Thunderbolt-3, HDMI, DisplayPort. I have not tested if Monterey 12.3 and Thunderbolt-3 or HDMI work better as my Thunderbolt-3 hub only has DisplayPort.

I suspect there is a regression in 4K monitor support in 12.3 over DisplayPort.

It would be great to hear from Apple what changed.

Mar 28, 2022 1:37 PM in response to grumpyseagull

Same thing happening with mine. I have two external monitors via Thunderbolt to my 2018 intel Mac Mini. Everything was fine until I updated last night. Only one monitor with display after logging in. Safe Mode made no different, port swapping, cable swapping also did nothing. I called support and went through all the other 'fixes' they suggested and nothing worked. They basically shrugged their shoulders and said to wait until they release a fix or reinstall the OS - pretty **** drastic for something they broke.

12.3 update breaks external monitor on mac mini 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.