You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Administrator Account and Single User Mode not Booting

Hi, got a MacBook Pro (2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) with macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Not really sure what exactly happened but currently got no admin account. Tried all procedures I found online, but nothing worked for me.

Seems like only option is to use the SUM but won't boot at all. Will go straight to the User Account. Though it will show all those text that they say online but can't get to to terminal or command line. Tried to use the Cmd+R and open terminal but still no luck.

Also, it says that FileVault is turned on the disk "Macintosh HD", is this a sign that no chance of fixing this? Really need your help with this. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 4:00 PM

I'd try installing the OS to an external drive.

The whole point Filevault is to keep everything hidden & not even recoverable with a password..

What you can do if you forget your password on a FileVault-protected Mac (macworld.com)

5 replies

No Administrator Account and Single User Mode not Booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.