Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac removed local copies of files "at random", leaving cloud copies.

-I ran a backup on my Mac, which failed to complete due to lack of drive space, on the backup drive.

Following on from this, my desktop suddenly disappeared, and was replaced with the Monterey default.

I was using my own wallpaper folder on the local drive. I realised to my surprise, that the local copy of the wallpaper has been removed, and now has a cloud icon with down arrow next to it.

Numerous files have had local copies removed, and now appear to just be on icloud. This is shown in the screen shot. E.g numerous desktop files from the wallpaper folder at the bottom.

My question is, why would Monterey remove local copies of files, under its own logic? never seen this behaviour before. Is it trying to save disk space?

I am using Mojave 12.2.1, and have not made any configuration changes.

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 9:59 AM

rossb2 wrote:

-I ran a backup on my Mac, which failed to complete due to lack of drive space, on the backup drive.

You should check storage on the boot drive too. I bet you'll be surprised.

I was using my own wallpaper folder on the local drive. I realised to my surprise, that the local copy of the wallpaper has been removed, and now has a cloud icon with down arrow next to it.

Technically that's not a folder on the local drive. If iCloud is managing your Documents folder, that is an iCloud folder.

Numerous files have had local copies removed, and now appear to just be on icloud. This is shown in the screen shot. E.g numerous desktop files from the wallpaper folder at the bottom.

My question is, why would Monterey remove local copies of files, under its own logic? never seen this behaviour before. Is it trying to save disk space?

That's the way it works. It will do this to save disk space. It will also do it just because a file hasn't been modified recently.

If there are any files that shouldn't be evicted, then you should store them somewhere else in your home directory where iCloud can get to them.

There is a setting to force all iCloud files to be downloaded, but you should only enable that setting (or rather disable the "optimize iCloud" setting) if you have lots and lots of free disk storage.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 9:59 AM in response to rossb2

rossb2 wrote:

You should check storage on the boot drive too. I bet you'll be surprised.

Technically that's not a folder on the local drive. If iCloud is managing your Documents folder, that is an iCloud folder.

That's the way it works. It will do this to save disk space. It will also do it just because a file hasn't been modified recently.

If there are any files that shouldn't be evicted, then you should store them somewhere else in your home directory where iCloud can get to them.

There is a setting to force all iCloud files to be downloaded, but you should only enable that setting (or rather disable the "optimize iCloud" setting) if you have lots and lots of free disk storage.

My Mac removed local copies of files "at random", leaving cloud copies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.