Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music on iPhone won't display album art correctly

I have asked this before, and I see others asking the same - but there is no reply from Apple.

On current ios, Music does not display all album art correctly from library on laptop.

I have updated everything and tried all fixes recommended, nothing works. I am sure this is a bug but Apple seems not to be interested in fixing it?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:13 PM

SOLVED!!!! But with absolutely no help from Apple Support... Just trial and error. Posting solution here in case it helps others.

On the iPhone, Settings - Music - Downloaded Music - Edit - DELETE ALL SONGS

Then synch to Mac...

Note: it took me more than one try to get the iphone to actually delete all songs, it seemed to do almost all but not all at once.

I don't see why the synch didn't work directly from Mac without this additional prior step on iphone, but it didn't. I believe this is a bug in Music that Apple hasn't fixed/doesn't care to. But this workaround worked for me - I hope it will for others.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 10:13 PM in response to bootmad

SOLVED!!!! But with absolutely no help from Apple Support... Just trial and error. Posting solution here in case it helps others.

On the iPhone, Settings - Music - Downloaded Music - Edit - DELETE ALL SONGS

Then synch to Mac...

Note: it took me more than one try to get the iphone to actually delete all songs, it seemed to do almost all but not all at once.

I don't see why the synch didn't work directly from Mac without this additional prior step on iphone, but it didn't. I believe this is a bug in Music that Apple hasn't fixed/doesn't care to. But this workaround worked for me - I hope it will for others.

Mar 19, 2022 5:30 PM in response to Jaym_8

On my MacBook, all album art is correct.

When I synch to my iPhone, incorrect art is attached to some albums - not all. The incorrect art is from another album in my collection, and is applied to multiple albums on the iPhone.

My library of music is from my own collection, built up over years. It is not synched to the cloud.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 19, 2022 1:37 PM in response to bootmad

Hello bootmad,

We'd suggest adding more specific detail to your post. When you say the album art is not displaying correctly, what exactly does that mean? Is it just showing the default music note icon instead of the picture from the album cover? Is it showing a picture from an album cover but it's the incorrect one?

More information about your library would help too. Where is the music you have in your library coming from? Was it purchased from the iTunes Store/coming from the Apple Music service? Was it loaded into Music from some other source? (imported from CD's, MP3's downloaded from another service)

Here's some basic steps for editing/adding album artwork to items in Music: Add artwork to content in Music on Mac

Cheers!

Mar 19, 2022 5:49 PM in response to Eric--F

No, this is in Album view. On the iPhone (yes, updated), Music is displaying the wrong artwork for albums. It will not match what is in Music on my MacBook (running Monterey).

I have been asking for help with this since buying new iPhone. I have followed all instructions and it does not solve the problem.

I am sure this is a bug in the software.

Please take responsibility and fix this!

Mar 19, 2022 5:35 PM in response to bootmad

Hello bootmad,

Thanks for clarifying that. We're happy to keep checking this.

Where are you seeing this? When in the Artist view, your device will automatically download generic artwork (microphone icon) for a specific artist from the iTunes Store. The artist in question has to have specifically set artwork to be used for their artist page for it to be displayed. If they have not set one up, then we show the microphone.

Otherwise, try these steps: 

1. Ensure iOS and iTunes are up-to-date to iOS 15.4. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2. Restart the iOS device. iPhone User Guide: Restart iPhone - Apple Support

3. Re-sync the iOS device with iTunes. Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

If you still have issues, please contact Apple Support: Contact Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Apple Music on iPhone won't display album art correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.