Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail notification not working

Since IOS 15 notifications for mail are not working. Anyone having similar issue?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 11:14 PM

By default notification sound and vibration is turned off in Notification settings. Go to Settings -> Notifications-> Mail -> Sounds -> [choose default sound and vibration].

After that go to Settings -> Notifications-> Mail -> Customise Notifications -> [chose your mail box] -> Turn on alert for mail box.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2022 11:14 PM in response to ProblemCoach

By default notification sound and vibration is turned off in Notification settings. Go to Settings -> Notifications-> Mail -> Sounds -> [choose default sound and vibration].

After that go to Settings -> Notifications-> Mail -> Customise Notifications -> [chose your mail box] -> Turn on alert for mail box.

Mar 21, 2022 8:39 AM in response to ProblemCoach

At that point I would suggest that you check the settings for receiving mail on your accounts. Go to Settings>Mail>Accounts. ON that page, you will see the setting, Fetch New Data. Tap on that. From there, select the mail account in question and you need to tell the iPhone how to check for new mail. If you have an Exchange account or your iCloud account, you can set it to Push. Those are the only accounts that you can use Push for. No other types of accounts support Push. If you have a regular account, you need to set a Fetch schedule. Down below after you have selected Fetch for your account, you need to set a time schedule. The quickest you can have it check mail is every 15 minutes. That means every 15 minutes it will reach out and check your mail server to see if you have any new mail. If you check Manually, it will only check mail when you open Mail. Automatically is something I don't understand too well, because it does not seem to work the way that it has been explained. I suggest avoiding it completely, that is how many people I've helped had theirs set and would not receive mail. I know that the time settings for Fetch work. That is what I use for my Comcast/Xfinity account.

This should fix your issue if you were not getting mail until you opened the Mail app.

Jul 20, 2022 12:18 PM in response to bsandrews

I've tried pretty much all of the above and have spent several hours on the phone with Apple on several occasions. The first tech Ashanti told me Apple is aware of this issue that started to occur after a recent update and that they were "working on a solution" and would get back to me... FFWD a couple weeks to today July 20, 2022... well since i never heard back from them even after replying 3 times to a dedicated email about my case, i scheduled another call. The guy I talked to today gave me the engineering dept's solution... "when using FETCH your phone must be ON POWER and WIFI in order to receive notifications"... um, of course my phone is always ON and ON Wifi but he explained that ON POWER actually means PLUGGED IN TO POWER... huh? I just started having this issue several months ago and prior to the update that started it all (15.??) my phone was only ever plugged in at night when i slept and i NEVER had these problems. So I went back and forth with this guy for about 10 more minutes before deciding it was pointless to continue. We hung up & I tested his theory and lo and behold with my phone plugged in I did finally receive a verbal notification of new mail... My issue is that SINCE WHEN & WHY does my phone need to be PLUGGED IN to receive a freakin' notification? That's ridiculous not to mention inconvenient! I rely on my iphone for work and APPLE needs to fix this issue ASAP, this is BS! ps... another issue i discovered along the way, make sure ALERTS is ON, mine somehow got turned off along the way: settings>mail>customize notifications then click on your account(s) and make sure ALERTS is ON. A few other ppl mentioned this too in this thread but i thought it was worth repeating. And no, that did not seem to affect actually being alerted of emails PRIOR to plugging in my phone as per above. APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS - WE NEED A RESOLUTION ASAP!

Apr 29, 2022 4:13 AM in response to ProblemCoach

I too had this problem - mail notifications not showing on my Lock Screen.

I checked every single setting that others here and also other sites have suggested and mine were already set that way.

*My solution, my notifications had been working but then suddenly stopped.

I finally realize what it was (and hope this works for everyone else), settings>notifications>mail>”make sure Banner Style is set to Persistent!”

As you can see it in my screenshot below.

I had become “annoyed” having them show up as “Persistent Banners” across the top of “any screen” I was using (and interrupting me while playing a game,etc.) - so at first I “changed the Banner Style to “Temporary”, and then finally “Deselected Banners” altogether while leaving the Lock Screen still checked.

”THAT was the cause of the problem”. It seems that if you want a Mail Notification to appear on the Lock Screen and stay there, you’re stuck with selecting a “Persistent Banner” style, and that choice of “Persistent” only appears if you “Select Banners”.

* The only other glitch might be me, I’m using GMail, and for some reason “Gmail” does not give the “Push” option, only “Fetch” (apparently a GMail thing from what I’ve Googled on it). Go to: Settings>Mail>Accounts>then tap on “Fetch New Data” - mine was set to “Push!”, but when I tapped on that, “Push” was selected only for “iCloud”, tapping on GMail only gave the options to “Fetch” or “Manual” (see second screenshot)

Other mail programs like Outlook do give the “Push” option when you navigate that way - so the issue may be a combination of settings when you use GMail like me.

I hope this very long answer helps someone.

Apr 10, 2022 3:54 PM in response to ProblemCoach

Since downloading iOS 15.4.1, I am having difficulty receiving emails through my yahoo account. My wife is able to view all current, and newest emails we receive on the joint email account, however my phone does not display the most current and new emails like hers does. I think there is a bug in the most recent update. Please fix! I have an iPhone Xr, she has the 11.

Jun 12, 2022 10:25 AM in response to bsandrews

Can you tell us what they did to fix it???

I have gmail and installed the gmail app - I too have an iPhone 8.

Both the gmail app and native iOS mail app are set to give notifications.

-The gmail app works but when I clear the notification(s), they usually come back later - sometimes showing several notifications from hours ago that I already cleared.

-The iOS Mail app works very intermittently, often not showing any notifications unless I open the app manually.

-It’s very annoying to need both apps because the iOS app (which I prefer because of the UI) is unreliable.

-Yes, I’ve tried every single tweak/change/suggestion that has been posted and none worked. The only thing I didn’t do was uninstall my account and re-add it back - I’m afraid I might mess it up if I tried.

Thank you.

(P.S. there is an Apple store near me if it came down to that.)

Mar 21, 2022 8:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

CrisJ4203, thank you for the detailed response. Unfortunately, I have already tried everything you suggested. After spending three days and countless hours with senior AppleCare folks, I have given up on the Mail app, at least for now. I have installed the Gmail app and, while I don't like it as well as Mail, at least I am getting dependable notifications.

May 26, 2022 3:17 PM in response to V.E.

My mail problem has returned.

With the exception of deleting my account and reinstalling it, I’ve tried everything including the latest tip regarding “focus”.

I have gmail which doesn’t allow for push, only fetch, when used in conjunction with the iOS mail app.

Frankly, I may be one of the few folks (?) who prefer the Mail app over the gmail app.

My problems are that the mail app will intermittently hang up and stop fetching new mail every 15 min (my setting)-and only when I launch the app do all those emails come flooding through.

The gmail app does show the notifications on the Lock Screen, but when I clear them, all of a sudden older emails from much earlier in the day start reappearing again.

I’ve just about given up on finding a way to get reliable timely notifications.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thank you all in advance.

Jun 12, 2022 7:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Mail notifications not working. I have spent many hours on telephone with Apple. Still not working properly with accounts that are on fetch. Account that is on push works fine. So much for Apple Support. I had the same problem on my iPhone 8 and now iPhone 13 is the same. I visited an Apple store 2 times and finally got the right person and it was fixed.

mail notification not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.