Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sort on people in photos app

I'm using OS 11.6.5 on a MacBook Air and my computer will no longer sort photos using facial recognition as intended. It was working some time ago, then got stuck and "I'm dead in the water" only on that function. Don't know if my library is too big (has about 13,000 photos) or if there's something else going on. Anyone else experience a problem and found a solution? Note I'm from an enormously large family with 14 siblings, have 80 some first cousins and 40-some nieces and nephews, mostly with their own offspring now, not counting four of my own grandkids, so their are a lot of pictures, which is why facial recognition software is especially valuable to me - if I can get it to work again. Note my Mac is 2013 vintage MacBook Air and I'm preparing to upgrade to a 16" MacBook Pro. Hopefully that will work but I have no guarantees!......

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 5:37 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 19, 2022 11:52 PM in response to MontanaWalker

The library size should not be a problem with only 13000 photos.

"I'm using OS 11.6.5 on a MacBook Air and my computer will no longer sort photos using facial recognition as intended. It was working some time ago, then got stuck"

What do you mean by "got stuck"? Is there a message below the People album? If yes, which message? Can you identify a photo, where Photos should have detected a face, but did not find any? As a test, enable the option to show the faces names on all photos in the"View" menu, so you can see easily, where Photos stopped to scan for faces.

In addition to restarting the photosanalysd as described by muguy, you may want to check, if there is a problem with your Photos Library.

Common reasons for Photos not being able to complete the the scan for faces are:

• lack of storage: check, if you are still having plenty of free storage (at least 10GB) on your Mac and in iCloud, if you are using iCloud Photos.
  • Legacy media, that can no longer be processed in your Photos Library - I single video, photo, or Live Photo that can no longer be processed on macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer can block the analysis of the photos.
  • Problems with the filenames, permissions, or file ownership or a damaged Photos Library: If you are not keeping the Photos Library in your Pictures folder, check, if your Photos Library is on a compatible volume, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

sort on people in photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.