Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac can't find software upgrades/updates

I just bought a used iMac (Retina 5K, late 2015 model, Big Sur 11.0.1 installed). Everything works normally (surfing, etc.), but when I click on 'Software Updates' (via the Apple icon in the top left corner of the

screen or the gears symbol), the computer just keeps searching in vain, finding nothing. At a mininum, the latest version of Big Sur should be shown, but there's just no results. I tried downloading Monterey

directly from the App Store, but all it gets me is the same stuck situation next to the gears symbol ("Searching for Updates …" [translated from German]). What's also weird is that programs such as Pages and Numbers are missing on the hard disk, and aren't shown as potential updates, either. I tried both manual and automatic update options, but both didn't work.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 11:56 AM

Hello Swiss123CH,

If you are not seeing any updates available and apps are missing, you can test by creating a new test user and see if the issue persists. See if you can redownload the missing Pages and Numbers apps from the App Store.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 11:56 AM in response to Swiss123CH

Hello Swiss123CH,

If you are not seeing any updates available and apps are missing, you can test by creating a new test user and see if the issue persists. See if you can redownload the missing Pages and Numbers apps from the App Store.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

IMac can't find software upgrades/updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.