Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV Camcorder not recognized in FCPX/iMovie/Quicktime in Monterey (12.3)

Hi,

Up until a few weeks ago I was able to import HDV video from my Canon HV-20 into FCPX using a Firewire cable on my new MBP M1 Max. This is a setup worked well many times before. But when I tried to import a tape today the camera doesn't show up in FCPX/iMovie/Quicktime anymore.

The only thing that changed (that I can think of) since last time I used it is the version of MacOS. Interestingly, the same camera with the same cable shows up just fine on a different laptop, an older MBP (Intel-based) running Big Sur.

In addition, I can see that the camera is properly recognized on the Firewire bus by MacOS on the M1 Max. It shows up in the System Information application (under Firewire) and on the command line when running:

Just not in any of the video import dialogs.

Since it was working a few weeks ago, it makes me think that something may have broken with one of the latest versions of Monterey.

I wonder if anybody else with an HDV camcorder/deck can confirm if they can see them as an option for importing video on an M1 Mac running the latest version of Monterey (12.3), either in FCPX, iMovie or Quicktime.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 5:41 PM

Similar questions

55 replies

Mar 19, 2022 8:19 PM in response to terryb

terryb wrote:

If you can't get it to work and are under deadline, I seem to recall a discussion here saying you can use QuickTime Player app. Choose File->New Movie Recording and then see if the camera shows up in the popup.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/9f584a32-26b9-41f0-b24b-248d265aadf3

Thanks. I tried that as well, but the camera doesn't appear in that list either, unfortunately. It's not coming up in FCP, iMovie or Quicktime.

Strange given the fact that the Firewire driver does recognize the device properly (see screenshots above). I'm guessing the problem is in a layer above the OS and kernel drivers. Maybe in AVFoundation?

Apr 2, 2022 10:41 PM in response to Andre Bisson

Have you reduced the startup security? You can't boot into a separate volume with full security.

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

I don't know if a separate partition will work on these machines. I know a separate volume will, assuming the machine originally came from the factory with Big Sur installed.

I would recommend you try the installation on an external SSD with the correction connection cable for the ports on that machine. Slower cabling will not work on the M1 machinines, unless that's been changing in the OS. I know that was case when Monterey was in development.

Mar 27, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Ikester

I’m going through the same exact thing right now. My Sony HDV deck will show up on “system report” after a reboot on my 16 M1 Max, but not inside FCPX. Weird, but I see is recognized under “FireWire”

so I’m forced to use a 2012 MBP to do the transfer to an external, and then connect the external to my M1Max and do the editing.

Did you find anything else on how to make it work? Maybe a different program?

thank you!

Mar 20, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Final Cut Pro NEEDS to have Full Disk Access.
Maybe this won’t fix the present problem with your HDV camera but you need to grant that permission, or FCP will not be able to access camera cards or external drives. It must be there and have the box checked.

My FCP has no problem accessing camera cards or external drives. I think the current security settings account for those. The only problem is with a Firewire HDV/miniDV device, which is not a file-based protocol.

Mar 21, 2022 9:13 AM in response to Alchroma

Alchroma wrote:

After doing some testing on three Macs, two older with differing OS versions and new 12.3.
Result - older versions work as usual.
New Monterey 12.3 is a complete NO SHOW over firewire.

Seems like an OS bug to me. 😩​👎​

Al

Thanks for testing and confirming that Al. Interesting...at least it's not just me! :)

I have an open case with Apple support about this. I'll add a link to this discussion in case it's helpful.

Mar 25, 2022 1:18 AM in response to Ikester

As Monterey has nerfed my ability to attach my HDV camera and the main reason to use my Mac is transfer and editing these tapes then I am going to revert to reliable BigSur on an external drive.

Do you knowledgeable guys know if a 512gb usb stick will work ok (if the Mac is happy with it) rather than an external HDD - I have both.

Ill return to Monterey if they fix this issue but for now its binned.

HDV Camcorder not recognized in FCPX/iMovie/Quicktime in Monterey (12.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.