Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete duplicate photos from library

Can I delete duplicate photos from library?

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 11:14 PM

You can delete any photo from your library you do no longer need.

What is the problem? Are you asking how to find duplicates?

Photos has no tool to show you potential duplicates in the library. Photos is checking for duplicates when we are importing photos, so there should be no exact duplicates.

We may have many different versions of the same photo, however. Or many similar photos taken in quick succession.

these photos we have to find on our own, for example by looking for them in an album, that is sorted by the date the photos have been taken, where they will be shown side-by-side.

if you have two similar photos and want to delete one of them, be sure to keep the best version. Compare the photos and keep the one with the best exposure and the most pleasing composition. If the sizes are different, keep the one with the best resolution. Compare the metadata and merge the titles, captions, keywords. Do not delete photos that have been used in projects, like books or slideshows.

There are third-party programs to help you to identify duplicates, but delegate the decision which photos to keep to these programs. And some of the duplicate detectors can damage your library badly, and it may not be possible to repair the damage or they may try to steal your data or install malware (Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support). I can recommend PowerPhotos, but it is not free.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 11:14 PM in response to lynette187

You can delete any photo from your library you do no longer need.

What is the problem? Are you asking how to find duplicates?

Photos has no tool to show you potential duplicates in the library. Photos is checking for duplicates when we are importing photos, so there should be no exact duplicates.

We may have many different versions of the same photo, however. Or many similar photos taken in quick succession.

these photos we have to find on our own, for example by looking for them in an album, that is sorted by the date the photos have been taken, where they will be shown side-by-side.

if you have two similar photos and want to delete one of them, be sure to keep the best version. Compare the photos and keep the one with the best exposure and the most pleasing composition. If the sizes are different, keep the one with the best resolution. Compare the metadata and merge the titles, captions, keywords. Do not delete photos that have been used in projects, like books or slideshows.

There are third-party programs to help you to identify duplicates, but delegate the decision which photos to keep to these programs. And some of the duplicate detectors can damage your library badly, and it may not be possible to repair the damage or they may try to steal your data or install malware (Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support). I can recommend PowerPhotos, but it is not free.

Apr 2, 2022 6:50 AM in response to lynette187

Hello,

The actual question the above user wants to ask is that previously iOS had an option under settings to delete duplicates and now that option is no longer available. I don’t know if it’s disabled because Apple can market of consumers purchasing iPhones with more storage or contracts Apple acquired from third party app developers.

Thank you in advance

Apr 2, 2022 8:58 AM in response to Keith Barkley

It usually happens whenever any company updates a contract to help prevent users using open source. Either that or advertisements because a profit must be made. For instance, if you’re paying for virus protection and had been making on time payments and cancel you would eventually receive malignant code.

Businesses can’t disclose this because it’s illegal, but usually they’ll find a way.

Thank you and have a great day!

Can I delete duplicate photos from library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.