Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library syncing

How do I stop iCloud Photo Library from syncing to my iPhone when the photos on my Mac are already on the iPhone?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 2:51 AM

Yes, just accept that anything you wifi to your iPad will also be synced via icloud. Especially if what you send by wifi is in *any* way different (including file date) from the one that gets added to your mac.

Your alternative is to add all the wifi transferred ones to an album so they can easily be deleted later when you sync via iCloud. (I sometimes do the same when I want to share camera images before I get home). Or if the camera imags are shared as jpg via wifi, but added as raw on the mac, you can use a smart album to identify jpg files from that camera and delete them from the smart album.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 2:51 AM in response to PFJ30

Yes, just accept that anything you wifi to your iPad will also be synced via icloud. Especially if what you send by wifi is in *any* way different (including file date) from the one that gets added to your mac.

Your alternative is to add all the wifi transferred ones to an album so they can easily be deleted later when you sync via iCloud. (I sometimes do the same when I want to share camera images before I get home). Or if the camera imags are shared as jpg via wifi, but added as raw on the mac, you can use a smart album to identify jpg files from that camera and delete them from the smart album.

Mar 20, 2022 8:48 AM in response to PFJ30

Do you mean you have put the mac photos on the phone by USB sync, but are using iCloud to transfer from the phone to the Mac?

If so, that is not the way to do it. You should either use iCloud, or USB, but not both.

iCloud will always sync the libraries of devices connected to it. But photos transferred to a phone via USB (synced albums) are not actually stored in the library. So if you use this method then iCloud will still transfer the photos into the library.

Mar 21, 2022 1:53 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks Tony. No, not quite but the same principle does I think now explain my problem. My (non-phone) camera has Wi-Fi which I use to transfer some pics to iPad for a quick edit/review. When I subsequently upload those camera pics to iPhoto/Photos on Mac then iCloud sync duplicates (would if I turned it back on) them on the iPad. The odd couple of pics doesn’t matter but hundreds of family wedding shots ….😳. So following your principle I should use one or the other for ALL pictures from my camera- Wi-Fi to iPad or transfer to Mac?

iCloud Photo Library syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.