Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How noisy is the Mac Studio M1 Max?

The Mac Studio is a small computer with much CPU power. Some people say it's silent, others have complaints that it's too noisy. It seems that the Ultra is more silent because of the better cooling system. I have read that the fans run at 1325 rpm idle which is rather fast. What are the impressions of someone who bought the Mac Studio Max? (not the Ultra)

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:11 PM

M1 Max. While much quieter than the large windows machine it is replacing I am very disappointed that the fan is always running. When I'm doing low power tasks such as browsing the web shouldn't the system use the low-power cores and be silent? My M1 Air seems fine with that. Hopefully Apple will address this with an update.

179 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 5:11 PM in response to Mac_Hammer_Fan

M1 Max. While much quieter than the large windows machine it is replacing I am very disappointed that the fan is always running. When I'm doing low power tasks such as browsing the web shouldn't the system use the low-power cores and be silent? My M1 Air seems fine with that. Hopefully Apple will address this with an update.

Apr 4, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Daniel_87

Fan control and presets

Fan control for your fan(s) on your Apple computer can be either

• Auto: a fan is controlled by the system automatically
  • (Apple's default scenario). When all fans are controlled automatically
  • by the system the app works in monitoring-only mode.
  • Custom: a fan is controlled by the app. Can be either
  • some constant RPM value (e.g. 1500 RPM) or sensor-based control (e.g.
  • in relation to CPU PECI sensor).

For convenience the app features fan presets that let you quickly put your fan(s) to either Auto or some Custom mode depending on your activity. You can read more about fan presets here.

When Macs Fan Control quits, it always restores all fans back to Auto (Automatic preset).

Apr 7, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Jr. Shelby

Just got my Studio M1 Max. It is not super noisy (25 dB at the front and 30 dB at the back in 30cm distance when the computer is just in idle) but I hear it ALWAYS and thats super annoying in a otherwise silent environment especially as all the Macs I had so far were completely silent when not under heavy workload - like currently my Mac Mini.

Is Apple reading here ? If so: pls let me know if you are working on a solution e.g. an OS update which will shut off the fans or reduce their speed when the processor has only little workload. If not I will return the computer which I would love to keep but I am not spending that amount of money and then feel constantly annoyed. I am sure this can be solved if Apple wants to. I guess it is more if Apple is listening to its customers - one more time. btw: I wouldn't care about an external power adapter...

Mar 20, 2022 12:08 PM in response to Mac_Hammer_Fan

My Ultra is very silent in my opinion. I have to have a very quite room to hear it six inches away from my ear. The fans are silent and seem to push a lot of cool air out the back. I am very sensitive and planned to return it if it was noisy. No need for that. I doubt the M1 Max is much louder if any. Its performance is very similar to the 16 in M1Max notebook I have, which is also silent.

Of course if you are editing 8k video the fans will probably make more noise. But so far with Photoshop and Adobe Creative Apps and Final Cut Pro I have not heard any.

Mar 20, 2022 1:14 PM in response to John White9

The complaints that I have read are from the Mac Studio Max, not the Macbook Pro Max. Even idle it's too noisy according to some users. Can someone who has bought the Mac Studio Max confirm this or is it exaggerated? Some people are even returning their Mac Studio. Personally, I still use a Mac Pro 5,1 and it produces 35 db of noise but I can live with that. But more would be a problem for me.

Mar 21, 2022 3:57 AM in response to kerochan

I have seen the same video and I’m pursuing the same question Regarding the M1 Max Max Studio, Max Tech have a recent review of the Ultra’s benchmarks seeming to confirm that that version idles “quietly” at about 1300 rpm. No one seems to have assessed this, nor noise levels, for the base model. Yet, the question remains as to whether the fan is idling higher E.g. due to the aluminum heatsink, or if there are some other acoustic properties of the Max 1 enclosure (?) that could affect noise distribution.

Mar 21, 2022 4:06 AM in response to FocalPlane35

MacWorld did review the M1 Max: https://www.macworld.com/article/622515/mac-studio-m1-max-review.html

in this configuration: 10-core M1 Max processor with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 64GB of unified memory, 400GBps memory bandwidth, and a 2TB SSD and concluded regarding noise:

“While Apple acknowledges that the Mac Studio will make fan noise when pushed, the company makes reassurances that it’s still a very quiet computer. That claim held up throughout my testing; most of the time, I didn’t hear a thing, and I had to stop myself and listen when there was fan noise. It was barely noticeable.”

Mar 26, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Mac_Hammer_Fan

I returned M1 Max Mac Studio because the fans are always on, and ALWAYS collecting dust that can not be easily cleaned out. It is just going to get louder over time.

I had a 16" MBP M1 Max with the same specs and it was silent. I returned the 16" and bought a 14" M1 Pro MBP because I was getting the Mac Studio. Now I wish I just had the original 16" I bought.

How noisy is the Mac Studio M1 Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.