Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR screen suddenly went gray, photo negative, screen burned

I was using my iPhone XR last night (just watching Instagram stories) and suddenly my screen flashed gray. Closed out the app and everything on my screen was grayscale, looked like a photo negative, and showed screen burn throughout the screen. It has been 12+ hours with no resolution. I checked all the accessibility features listed in the support articles (inverted colors, etc) and nothing fixed the problem. Adjusted literally every display option but nothing worked. Restarted phone multiple times and nothing. Reset my phone settings, and still nothing. Finally did a complete factory reset and that still didn't solve the problem. I have searched for anything to indicate that someone else has had this problem but nada; seems like people get stuck with inverted colors or in grayscale, but not this weird issue. You can see from the photo that there is screen burn from multiple previous things that have been opened. Any clue what on earth caused this or how to fix it?

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 10:11 AM

Hi there elleeh,

Did you drop your iPhone or was it exposed to any liquid before the screen appeared this way? Which iOS version is listed in Settings > General > About?

Typically, if you restored your iPhone to factory settings and the issue persists, that indicates it's hardware-related. Keeping. that in mind, is the screen responding to your touch normally? If not, try these steps:

If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad
Learn what to do.

If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch
1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
4. Remove any cases or screen protectors.
If part of your screen doesn't respond, responds intermittently, or responds even when it's not touched, contact Apple Support.

You'll find this information here: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 10:11 AM in response to elleeh

Hi there elleeh,

Did you drop your iPhone or was it exposed to any liquid before the screen appeared this way? Which iOS version is listed in Settings > General > About?

Typically, if you restored your iPhone to factory settings and the issue persists, that indicates it's hardware-related. Keeping. that in mind, is the screen responding to your touch normally? If not, try these steps:

If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad
Learn what to do.

If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch
1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
4. Remove any cases or screen protectors.
If part of your screen doesn't respond, responds intermittently, or responds even when it's not touched, contact Apple Support.

You'll find this information here: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

iPhone XR screen suddenly went gray, photo negative, screen burned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.