Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing mail server

I keep getting the following messages when trying to send mail.

Connections to the server "map.gmail.com" on the default ports timed out.

and

Connections to the server "p48-imap.mail.me.com" on the default ports timed out.

There is also a symbol with a Triangle with and exclamation mark inside the triangle against my mail accounts.

I have tried all the recommended fixes such as deleting mail accounts and reinstalling them, Opening a browser to put in passwords, checking enabled box is ticked, etc but nothing works. It seems I cannot get a SMPT server set up or the ports are wrong. All I keep getting for outgoing server is imap. Now all of the above may seem like I know what I am talking about but I don't know much at all. I am 74 years old and well and truly not uo with computers and technology. I am just reporting what I see but don't understand it. But I am desperate to be able to send my google mail and receive mail. Can anyone help with a easy to follow solution.

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 2:32 PM

Now you're going to get some assistance from an 84 year old. Usually when you delete then set up a new account, the app will communicate with the server and arrange the connection. You still have to provide the user ID to be used and the passwords, which are then stored in your Keychain. (Be very sure that they are correct.) If I understand you correctly, you also cannot manually access the email server via your browser. That can indicate that you have an incorrect email password or ID which is being rejected. I suggest the following. First, open Keychain and remove your existing passwords for both email providers. Then check in the email app's preferences to carefully ensure that the information is correct. Then try again. If unsuccessful, I would then ask for assistance from the email service providers. They can often see where the failure occurs, and maybe why it happens.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 2:32 PM in response to The2jjs

Now you're going to get some assistance from an 84 year old. Usually when you delete then set up a new account, the app will communicate with the server and arrange the connection. You still have to provide the user ID to be used and the passwords, which are then stored in your Keychain. (Be very sure that they are correct.) If I understand you correctly, you also cannot manually access the email server via your browser. That can indicate that you have an incorrect email password or ID which is being rejected. I suggest the following. First, open Keychain and remove your existing passwords for both email providers. Then check in the email app's preferences to carefully ensure that the information is correct. Then try again. If unsuccessful, I would then ask for assistance from the email service providers. They can often see where the failure occurs, and maybe why it happens.

Outgoing mail server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.