Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11, Face ID started unlocking with face mask on

About three days ago my iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 15.3.1 started unlocking with face ID while I am wearing a mask. Previously it required me to enter my PIN when wearing a face mask. Why is this happening and does it indicate a problem?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:38 PM

Did you update your iOS to 15.4? That is a new feature for that, unless you have an Apple Watch. There was a setting in the older iOS that allowed for you to unlock your iPhone from the Apple Watch if you were wearing a mask. See this support document for an explanation of everything dealing with Face ID. Use Face ID on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support This document has been updated to include all of the new information.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 7:38 PM in response to pb2022

Did you update your iOS to 15.4? That is a new feature for that, unless you have an Apple Watch. There was a setting in the older iOS that allowed for you to unlock your iPhone from the Apple Watch if you were wearing a mask. See this support document for an explanation of everything dealing with Face ID. Use Face ID on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support This document has been updated to include all of the new information.

Mar 22, 2022 7:54 AM in response to pb2022

I could not answer that then. The ability to unlock with a mask on was not introduced until iOS 15.4. I would suggest that you use the Get Support link at the top of the page to contact Apple to ask them, or if you have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment to have the device checked. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPhone 11, Face ID started unlocking with face mask on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.