Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue on Face ID with a Mask option

Hi, 

I found a little issue regarding the FaceID with Mask option. Previously, Apple released a feature to unlock an iPhone with Apple Watch while wearing a mask. That was pretty smooth and personally I really benefitted from it. Then, with iOS 15.4 Apple introduced Face ID with Mask option. It was quite good and works smoothly. But now we have both these options available on our iPhone and I used to turn on both these features. Now it takes some measurable seconds or sometimes iPhone is unable to unlock while wearing a mask. I think since I have enabled both these options there might be a conflict to unlock the iPhone. Actually, I supposed when I turn on both these features it would unlock as fast as it can or act like the normal way.

Any of you have an idea about this?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 11:59 PM

Hi srbwanderer,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have already turned off one option and then there wasn’t such a conflict.

Anyhow this option is good for all iPhone users whether they have an Apple Watch.

2 replies

Mar 27, 2022 2:32 PM in response to randiltennakoon

Hello randiltennakoon,

If you want to see if having both the option to unlock the iPhone with the Apple Watch and when wearing a mask are slowing things down, go ahead and disable one and see if it makes a difference.

Tap on Settings FaceID & Passcode and toggle the Unlock With Apple Watch off. Restart the iPhone and test. Then tap on Settings > Face ID & Passcode and toggle Face ID with a Mask off, and toggle Unlock with Apple Watch back on. Restart the iPhone and test again.

Finally, toggle both settings on and see if there is any change.

Have a good day.

Issue on Face ID with a Mask option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.