Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library. Open Apple ID in System Preferences to turn on iCloud Photo Library.

Hello. I have been receiving notifications from my MacBook saying that I am out of disk space even though I am purchasing iCloud storage and I have enough of it left. When I go to >about this mac>storage>manage>store in icloud it says "Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library. Open Apple ID in System Preferences to turn on iCloud Photo Library." I am already logged in. When I go system preferences>apple ID i can see my email etc. so it's my account. Photos is marked on in the iCloud section. So when I go back to store in iCloud, i still get the same message over and over again. I want to be able to store my data from all my devices into iCloud so I won't get the not enough storage message all the time. that's the reason why I am paying for iCloud.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 1:54 PM

You may be encountering errors because you have very little space left on your device. Device storage is different than iCloud storage. iCloud syncs files across devices and still consumes space on your Mac. You'll need to delete or offload data on the device. you can also enable optimize photos and optimize files in iCloud. But, I suspect you'll still need to free up some space to make everything work properly (at least initially). I'd try to free up about 20 GB.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 1:54 PM in response to kizzy127

You may be encountering errors because you have very little space left on your device. Device storage is different than iCloud storage. iCloud syncs files across devices and still consumes space on your Mac. You'll need to delete or offload data on the device. you can also enable optimize photos and optimize files in iCloud. But, I suspect you'll still need to free up some space to make everything work properly (at least initially). I'd try to free up about 20 GB.

Mar 24, 2022 8:41 PM in response to kizzy127

Click on apple icon > about this Mac > storage > manage > recommendations > click on store in iCloud a pop window appears .

Click on optimise photo library .

Click on optimise .

See the article Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

You had already optimised the iCloud storage in Mac system preferences > check marked the box of it , only photos were not optimised , also your photo box is checked , when you open photo application and its preferences these articles were already followed Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Change preferences in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

System Photo Library overview for Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Read this article Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Optimise Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac”. 

Either you optimise ( check mark it from photo preferences ) or from about this Mac location , in case if it is already checked in photo application preferences and you again check from second location it will show an error and it will prove that only an administrator has made change in the system preferences and it prompted to enter admin password , so click on ok and error will go away .

Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library. Open Apple ID in System Preferences to turn on iCloud Photo Library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.