Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pro Display XDR

I have 3 pro display xdr's, mac pro 2019, w5700x, photography.

2 displays work fine. It will simply occasionally go black. It disappears from the thunderbolt bus but not always when blacked out. I've moved it from port to port, changed cables hooked to an m1 14 inch mac book pro, and when it's in failure mode it won't work in any of those situations. The workaround is.. leave it unplugged at night while not in use, fire it up next day and will run for hours. Other strange behavior when in failure mode is that if one hooks it to say an ipad off one of the usb-c ports to charge, the charging goes on and then off, and then on, and then off, weirdest thing you ever saw. Took to genius bar, and of course with intermittent nature of issue, it didn't reproduce there as it was off power for a while. I'm tempted to do a video or something. I run them in the photography- d65 reference mode, etc. So repeating, highly intermittent, goes away apparently after being off power for several hours and then can run all day perfectly fine. Help especially since intermittent. BTW, all running latest firmware and I'm running Monterey 12.3, after all I've done, it's clear this is an intermittent issue with the display itself. Worse kind of problem, not easily reproduced.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 6:24 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM in response to eesand

The best general recommendation is to spread your high-bandwidth devices over as many ThunderBolt Busses as possible.

Sometimes uses have cable issues (using cables that are not rated to run this fast or are longer than 0.8 meters).

The movie version is: be sure you are plugging at least one of the into the ThunderBolt port on the TOP of the unit to spread them out over many busses.

Mar 23, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the response, yes, did that, switched all sorts of stuff around- went to two displays both off the w5700x each on its own tb bus with using the bad xdr and it failed there too while other displays work fine. It actually now has finally died. I pulled it off the mac pro, hooked it up to an m1 14inch mac book pro documented to support it, and its bad behavior continues, genius later today, plus I did a video to document it to show at the store on the off chance its intermittent nature returns.

Pro Display XDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.