Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

Why doesn’t Apple TV on a Google TV allow purchases anymore?

Context: I have a TCL 6 series (r646 Google TV) that I’ve signed into with my Apple ID, and it allowed me to rent a movie on 3/7 with no issues. About a week later I tried renting another movie, and now the option to rent is gone and the only buttons available are “How To Watch” and “Add to Up Next”.

I also went back to the same movie I had successfully watched, and the issue is the same. Can no longer Rent.

SmartTVPro,

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 5:17 PM

This is indeed a recent change in policy for Android TV/Google TV/Sony TV. I have not seen details on the reasons. It seems to be only regarding the transaction bit.

Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support

“2. On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device.”

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 5:17 PM in response to taliscope

This is indeed a recent change in policy for Android TV/Google TV/Sony TV. I have not seen details on the reasons. It seems to be only regarding the transaction bit.

Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support

“2. On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device.”

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.