Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 big sur vmware and virtualbox problems!

Waiting more than one month to receive my custom MacBook pro M1 , and now nothing of this softwares works , What I can do ?

It gives this message with virtualbox :

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Vmware: Failed to power on''

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 4:01 AM

10 replies

Apr 1, 2022 6:43 AM in response to xingyu32

At this point I don't think it matters that you are on M1 based hardware. Any Mac OS version after Catalina is not supported by the current version of Virtual Box per:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#hostossupport

Upon returning to the office this week post pandemic, I wasted several hours before finding the link above which only lists these Mac OS versions as supported.

Mac OS X hosts (64-bit):

• 10.13 (High Sierra)
  • 10.14 (Mojave)
  • 10.15 (Catalina)

It would be a really nice feature for the VBox installer to check the OS version and give a warning, about installing on an unsupported OS. Good luck.

Tim

Mar 24, 2022 6:26 PM in response to xingyu32

I thought I saw another recent post on these forums which mentioned one of those VMs does not have a version compatible with an M1 Mac (I think it was VMWare, but I'm not certain). Plus if you are trying to run an Intel OS on a VM it will fail since an M1 Mac doesn't understand software made for an Intel CPU. AFAIK, the traditional VMs only allow you to run an OS made for the same CPU hardware as the host system which on an M1 Mac means only running software for an ARM64 CPU since an M1 CPU is a modified/customized ARM64 CPU.

You can try using UTM which is a GUI wrapper around the QEMU open source project which provides a machine emulator and virtualizer so you can run an OS made for one CPU architecture on a completely different hardware CPU such as an Intel based OS to run on an M1 Mac hardware.

https://mac.getutm.app/

Mar 25, 2022 5:08 PM in response to xingyu32

Oracle has not provided an Apple Silicon compatible VirtualBox. And even if they do, it is more likely you would have to run ARM64 based code, such as ARM64 Linux, or the Microsoft Surface ARM64 based Windows (there are a ton of YouTube videos on using this version of Windows on an Apple M1 processor).

Some users have had success running intel based operating systems via UTM

https://getutm.app (basically what HWTech above is telling you.

UTM can also be used to run ARM64 based operating systems, so it is another free virtual machine you can use instead of VirtualBox.

Apr 1, 2022 7:36 AM in response to PerformancePixel

VB 6.1.30 started to check if the platform is M1, note the unsupported CPU, and abort the installer. See dialabrain's post above with proof that VB runs on (Intel) Monterey, as would the VB version 6.1.30 Changelog fixes for (again, Intel) Monterey.

Presumably, Oracle will update the VB User manual supported hosts at some point.

M1 big sur vmware and virtualbox problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.