Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ever since installing 15.4, iMessage repeatedly - deactivates, fails to activate and eventually reactivates with my phone number

Every since I installed 15.4 on both my iPhone and iPad, I've been having iMessage issues.

When I first installed the update, sometimes when I open my messages, all my received texts turn green. When I try to send a text, it doesn't go through. I turn off and on the phone and it goes back to normal.

Eventually I tried to fix it. I followed the following instructions from apple. I turned off iMessage and Facetime within my settings on my 13 pro and 2020 2nd gen ipad pro. I then restarted (turn on / off) the devices. When I reenabled the settings, iMessage and facetime failed to activate with my phone number. I waited 24 hours and eventually it reactivated. I am able to send messages via my number again. However, after a few hours, again it deactivates and defaults to my icloud email to send and receive messages. And then the above repeats itself.

Are any of you experiencing this after installing 15.4? I've never had any issues with iMessage before this.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 12:10 PM

Hi Trish313,

So I was planning on contacting apple support yesterday but I saw another solution online. It had something to do with e-sim option.

So when I first received my iPhone, the e-sim line wasn't working for me. So I used my previous iphone's sim card and got it working. In my settings, i have 2 cellular plans with the same number just one of them is off (e-sim) while the other is on.

So based on what I read online, I turned the physical sim line off and then turned the e-sim line on and off. Restarted the phone. I then turned only the physical sim line on and kept e-sim off. Restarted the phone. When my phone turned on, iMessage was already activated with my number and has been ever since.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 12:10 PM in response to Trish313

Hi Trish313,

So I was planning on contacting apple support yesterday but I saw another solution online. It had something to do with e-sim option.

So when I first received my iPhone, the e-sim line wasn't working for me. So I used my previous iphone's sim card and got it working. In my settings, i have 2 cellular plans with the same number just one of them is off (e-sim) while the other is on.

So based on what I read online, I turned the physical sim line off and then turned the e-sim line on and off. Restarted the phone. I then turned only the physical sim line on and kept e-sim off. Restarted the phone. When my phone turned on, iMessage was already activated with my number and has been ever since.

Mar 25, 2022 8:07 AM in response to ChrisGar192

Hi ChrisGar192,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. Since this is continuing after following the steps in the article you came from ( If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime) your next step would be to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach out to the here: Get Support.

Take care!

Ever since installing 15.4, iMessage repeatedly - deactivates, fails to activate and eventually reactivates with my phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.