Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tried to update to monterey and now my imac wont let me restart it

Hi! I tried to update my imac to monterey, everything went okay, it downloaded it and installed it and then when it was supposed to restart itself it just froze on my desktop picture. Only the picture is visible, no icons, not the bar at the top of the screen, just the picture. I waited for a bit to see if it was just taking a long time and then ended up force shutting it down. It turned on like normal but still has the big sur system as if i didn’t update it and now every time i try to restart it, it just freezes on my desktop pic and i end up having to force shut it down all over again which i hate :( Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:49 PM

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally and test.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 5:49 PM in response to karenkonrads

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally and test.

tried to update to monterey and now my imac wont let me restart it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.