Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The top of my 12 max gets stupidly hot when on phone calls almost unbearable

Phone is getting too hot during calls

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 9:15 AM

Phone calls, especially on a 5G network, require a lot of energy. And the weaker the signal the more energy is required; a 1 bar connection requires 10 times as much energy as a 5 bar, for example. And the radio is about 30% efficient, so 70% of the energy used when on a call is heat. That’s why your phone gets hot when on a call. And all cell phones have done this since the beginning of time. In 1988 I had a phone that almost burned my ear on a call longer than 5 minutes.

The best solution if the heat bothers you is to use a Bluetooth ear bud or buds.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 9:15 AM in response to Spartan171

Phone calls, especially on a 5G network, require a lot of energy. And the weaker the signal the more energy is required; a 1 bar connection requires 10 times as much energy as a 5 bar, for example. And the radio is about 30% efficient, so 70% of the energy used when on a call is heat. That’s why your phone gets hot when on a call. And all cell phones have done this since the beginning of time. In 1988 I had a phone that almost burned my ear on a call longer than 5 minutes.

The best solution if the heat bothers you is to use a Bluetooth ear bud or buds.

The top of my 12 max gets stupidly hot when on phone calls almost unbearable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.