Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie

I created an iMovie library on my iMac macOS Mojave version 10.14.6. Then created a different library on my portable drive while the drive is connected to the iMac not laptop and conpied the libradry so I can work on my MacBook Pro macOS Mojave version 10.14.6 (same version as iMac). And i have been working on on the same iMovie library all year either on my iMac or MacBook pro with no probelm at all.

I updated my iMac a several weeks ago to macOS Monterey, but not my MacBook Pro. I did not upgrade my MacBook Pro because I am a university professor and when I read online it was not recommended to upgrade while using "EndNote X9" version and I am in the middle of submitting manuscripts for publications so I do not want to loose my references or affect my work in any way. In addition, photoshop, illustrator and Adobe softwares has some issues with the macOS Monterey. So I decided not to upgrade my MacBook Pro for now.

Today, I conected my portable drive to the iMac so I can copy the library from my portable drive to the iMac because I have completed a project with over 100 videos in the library. I copied what I needed, but left the drive connected to allow enough time for the copy to occur while cheching the computer periodically. A few hours later the screen went black. So I read online that I need to restart the computer.

Two issues now:

1. The computer seems frozen and does not want to restart. The bar keeps stuck in the middle of the restart proceess. How can I fix this problem?
  2. When I connected the portable drive to my MacBook Pro to make sure my iMovie library is fine. I got this error:

"The document “iMovie_XXXXXX” could not be opened. One or more of the libraries were created with a newer version of iMovie. These libraries will be ignored".

The thing is, I did not create it on the new iMovie version. Does this mean I will NOT be able to open this library ever again on my MacBook Pro?????? How can I fix this problem?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 12:43 PM

You probably should call Apple Support to work through this. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here. To contact Apple Support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

There may be some conflict that is causing your iMac to freeze on restart. Try booting up in Safe Mode to see if you can unstick the freeze up. Shut down for 10 seconds and boot up while holding down the Shift key, and keep holding down the Shift key until the login window completes. After everything loads, as hopefully it will, shut down and try booting up in normal mode.

Also, you might need to reset your System Management Controller if you are using an intel chip versus an M1 silicon chip on your iMac. See this link for instructions:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Check to confirm that the iMovie versions on your iMac and MacBook Pro are identical versions. If there's a newer iMovie version on your iMac after upgrading to Monterey it might be because you have automatic updates enabled. If you opened your iMovie library in the newer iMovie version you would have updated the iMovie library, so now it won't open with your older iMovie version in your MacBook Pro.

In any event, see if the techs at Apple Support can straighten this out. They are pretty savvy.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 12:43 PM in response to afnanalzain

You probably should call Apple Support to work through this. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here. To contact Apple Support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

There may be some conflict that is causing your iMac to freeze on restart. Try booting up in Safe Mode to see if you can unstick the freeze up. Shut down for 10 seconds and boot up while holding down the Shift key, and keep holding down the Shift key until the login window completes. After everything loads, as hopefully it will, shut down and try booting up in normal mode.

Also, you might need to reset your System Management Controller if you are using an intel chip versus an M1 silicon chip on your iMac. See this link for instructions:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Check to confirm that the iMovie versions on your iMac and MacBook Pro are identical versions. If there's a newer iMovie version on your iMac after upgrading to Monterey it might be because you have automatic updates enabled. If you opened your iMovie library in the newer iMovie version you would have updated the iMovie library, so now it won't open with your older iMovie version in your MacBook Pro.

In any event, see if the techs at Apple Support can straighten this out. They are pretty savvy.

-- Rich

Mar 26, 2022 5:09 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you.

I did not contact Apple support yet, but now my iMac is seems its rebooted as you can see in thee image attached. I am so afraid to select any option other than disk utility. Because I copied all my work from the portable drive to the iMac, and now I do not know if it was backed up to the Time machine. So if I select it and it was not back up I will loose it forever. Especially that now i tried to connect the portable drive to my sister's new MacBook Pro with Monterey and the iMovie library still does not want to open. This is terrible. My continuous work of over 9 months is lost for a technicality of a software. The iMovie did not even ask me to upgrade. No warning, NOTHING!!!! if I knew this would happen I would not have tried to back up my portable on the iMac. This is terrible. Just terrible.

iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.