Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Files too big

Hi all,

I've done everything the book tells me to do.. backed up using time machine, reviewed my file folders, but I still get a system files hard drive usage of 166 GB, when my operating system files are only 16 GB. This is consistent before and after reinstalling Mac OS and time machine. How can I reduce the enormous amount of room taken up by system files? Sincerely Paul

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 7:31 AM

EDITED

What Bug ?

Apple Clearly States

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Unless there is some other Agenda in play ?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 7:31 AM in response to promero1

EDITED

What Bug ?

Apple Clearly States

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Unless there is some other Agenda in play ?

Mar 26, 2022 6:41 AM in response to promero1

Has there been a Failed or Aborted installation of an Operating System previous to this installation ?

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Mar 26, 2022 6:51 AM in response to promero1

Ah - new information disclosed BootCamp.

Attempting to resize a Bootcamp partition without using Bootcamp Assist is dangerous and not suggested.

The computer may be experience the after effects of this action

Suggest using Terminal and this command without quotation marks " diskutil list "

Provide a screen shot of the output.

Mar 26, 2022 7:26 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi,

Thank you for the command line info, but it's done and over now...the reinstall is complete on the full disk capacity. Wish I knew that info before!! In my case the boot camp uninstall completed successfully, but the partition resizing failed..all in boot camp assistant.

I'm looking at the second problem to my quest for more hard drive space ,( I am using photo editing software that used huge amounts of space)....that is the 166 GB that is in the system files category...it's incredible that Apple would let a bug like this go unfixed!

Mar 26, 2022 7:51 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi, did I say bug? No, I did not mean that. I am just keen to learn why there is 166gb reported as system files. If there is a solution, I'd like to act on it and recover the space!!!!

Thanks Paul

PS The boot. camp partition resize failure is a bug. The new computer works great, but boot camp assistant AND disk utility under recovery mode both failed to resize partition.

System Files too big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.