Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In macOS Monterey tv app, home videos category crashing

Ever since I updated to macOS Monterey 12.3 when I go to my tv app then the home videos section, soon as I click on home videos from the side menu I get a spinning beach ball then the whole tv app crashes.

I deleted all my home videos and imported them again then it was fixed. But after restarting and using the app again same thing happens.

Its not doing this when I try to play any video, but just going to that home videos category crashes it. When I go to any other category like Movies, Tv Shows, Recently Added - its fine. Only going to Home Videos it crashes the whole app every time.

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 7:42 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 26, 2022 8:27 AM in response to forever_adrift

Thank you the quick testing and reply.

Judging from your above reply it would appear there is something installed in you Admin Account

5 - Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS in-order to replace any modified, altered, removed or corrupted elements of the OS this software has inflected on this computer 

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Mar 26, 2022 9:33 AM in response to forever_adrift

Understand and been there and done that to Wipe and Reinstallation over the years.

Just one pointer, if I may, once the installation is done - really suggest Not Using Migration Assist or TM Backup to restore previous anything.

Issues that may exist on the Time Machine Backup from previous Installation will be migrated to the New Installation. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

Mar 26, 2022 7:53 AM in response to forever_adrift

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer

After attempting from Point 1 to point 4 above at each step stop and test

If after Step 4 above and still having the issue - please advise.

Mar 26, 2022 7:58 AM in response to PRP_53

I recently did a fresh install of macOS since after that update I was having trouble with coreaudiod really maxing out and cooking my Mac mini. But its when I noticed this trouble. Just found something else now since I went to my Apple TV and tried to view home videos there but wouldn't show my media. Then I saw in system preferences I didn't have media sharing checked but I can't even check it now for some reason. I clicked on the lock but won't let me check on media sharing so I guess I have to sort this out before I try anything else.

Thank you for your suggestion though, I will get to that once I sort out this problem. I can click on file sharing or other boxes but not media sharing, when I click on that it does nothing. I will get back to you once I fix this, I hope.

Mar 26, 2022 8:22 AM in response to PRP_53

I am running as admin on this account. I restarted into safe mode though and tried it again and still the tv app crashes when I go to the home videos category. I did a first aid on the external HD I use for this media and the main ssd in the Mac and still does it.

When I booted into safe mode it showed that media sharing enabled though, not sure why it was all blacked out before and couldn't click on it. I tried playing on my Apple TV one of my home videos and played ok. Tried playing a purchased movie then told me I had to authenticate which I already did but did it again in the tv app and then the movie played. Since I worried maybe some authentication problem but that's ok now.

I run 4 user accounts on this Mac also but home videos are fine on those. These videos are just ones I filmed myself over the years and worked fine before I did a fresh install. Thank you for your suggestions though. My home videos isn't a big problem I guess since I can still play them on my Mac and Apple TV. Just don't know why when I go to that section in the tv app on my Mac the tv app crashes still.

Mar 26, 2022 8:42 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you once again for your suggestions. I rebooted and still the app crashed when I went to home videos. I just deleted my videos in there, all 15. Then going to home videos category is fine no crash. So don't know why it doesn't seem to like the videos I had there. I was going to import them again but found I deleted them from another drive when I did a fresh install so going to try to find them. I think I imported them from another drive or iCloud Drive even since I have them backed up there so maybe there was some permission problem. I will try to drag them to my desktop and import them from there once I find them.

I don't run any anti virus or anything but I do use ad guard. I actually have less installed now than I did before I did a fresh install since I still haven't installed too much. The install is pretty fresh still and wiped the drive. Downloaded 12.3 from apple and installed it from scratch from USB stick. So not sure why something would be messed up. I will try the app you suggested but just going to try to add my home videos back in another way to see if its something permission wise first then will get back to you.

Mar 26, 2022 9:17 AM in response to PRP_53

I tried to run adguard to quit it but the app wasn't responding, so force quit it in activity monitor and removed the whole app and all folders from library. Restarted but same trouble with home videos. When I restart now though mds_stores really maxes out my CPU for quite a while each time. Something just doesn't seem right so I'm going to do a fresh install again. I know drastic but only did it a few days ago so not a big deal to do it again. Hopefully this time it will be without problems. Just having so odd issues and behaviours so feels like something messed up so going to start over.

I read adguard is from Russia/ukraine? a while back also but servers in Germany or something so maybe I will avoid the app for now since maybe due to the war there are issues going on.

Mar 26, 2022 10:48 AM in response to PRP_53

I never use TM or anything on a fresh install but thank you. All done installing 12.3 macOS again, formatted or erased the SSD from the install USB drive first using disk utilities. Just been getting all apps and iCloud set up again. Just ran the tv app and imported my media. I can switch between the categories now quickly, movies, tv shows, home videos... no crashing.

Didn't use TM before on this previous fresh install also but I did it on that day apple had a ton of issues and outages. So maybe that messed something up. I picked a bad time them to do it but didn't know until after apple was having so many issues a few days ago.

I did install ad guard from the App Store and my account. Not sure why it was frozen up but will hold off on installing that app again. Glad all is working now and thank you again for all the time you shared today. I will mark this as solved now. Wishing you a happy weekend.

In macOS Monterey tv app, home videos category crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.