Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV stops playing downloaded shows after MacOS 12.1 install

After upgrading to MacOS 12.1, I was no longer able to play purchased TV shows through the TV app. It causes the TV app to crash (unresponsive). Note that I have stored the purchased TV shows on an external NAS drive. I have tried restarting, and restarting in safe mode, but the problem persists, and the TV app still crashes after all those attempts. 

I can see the content in the app library, and in the Finder. I am attempting to play the content through the TV app. When I do, I get the "beach ball" wait wheel, and Cmd Opt Esc shows TV app unresponsive. The TV app preferences/Files/Media Folder Location is set to the external drive. 

You all would know better than I would, but I wondered if this could be a bug— since the issue started when upgrading to MacOS 12.1, which introduced SharePlay— I wonder if there is a bug that now the TV app crashes when attempting to play content stored on an external drive… But Apple Support via chat said it could be an issue with the drive format. I will look into it. (at the same time, it worked with the same format before the upgrade to 12.1, so it just makes me curious). 

Any other thoughts on options to try before I have to delete multiple GBs of movies/TV shows, reformat my NAS, and reinstall the purchased shows?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 4:56 PM

For anyone else with this problem: Aquadri gave me a solution to a different problem (desktop icons disappearing after wake from sleep, and it also solved this one-- seems to be a finder preference corruption. Here is the solution that worked:

I had the same problem. I had been looking everywhere for a solution, then stumbled on this solution. Start terminal and enter following command:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop true; killall Finder

See if that works for you, it worked for me.

To be clear, I also had to transfer all of the media off of my NAS, and put it on an APFS formatted drive. Reset the location in the preferences, then ran this command. I was able to play videos then.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 4:56 PM in response to brokenman

For anyone else with this problem: Aquadri gave me a solution to a different problem (desktop icons disappearing after wake from sleep, and it also solved this one-- seems to be a finder preference corruption. Here is the solution that worked:

I had the same problem. I had been looking everywhere for a solution, then stumbled on this solution. Start terminal and enter following command:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop true; killall Finder

See if that works for you, it worked for me.

To be clear, I also had to transfer all of the media off of my NAS, and put it on an APFS formatted drive. Reset the location in the preferences, then ran this command. I was able to play videos then.

Apple TV stops playing downloaded shows after MacOS 12.1 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.