Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

I always use closed captioning. When watching something on Apple TV the closed captions sometimes appear and then disappear in a flash so quick it is impossible to read. I am using the Apple TV app on Roku.

Why is this happening and what can I do about it?

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 12:16 PM

Hello marku7, It sounds like I have the same ROKU setup you have. I use closed captioning too. Checking ROKU settings I haven't found anything that would help other than changing the caption style, but that doesn't slow down the caption speed, because the caption is trying to stay in sync with the lips of people talking. However in AppleTV settings there is a setting in accessibility called Closed Captions and SDH. I just now tried it and it does slow the caption a little by leaving the words of a sentence on the screen until the sentence is completed. Also the caption is rather large, so if your watching a movie the large caption may distract from the movie in some peoples view. Also the caption does not stay sync to the lips of people talking. There is as bit of a delay. You can give it a try to see if it will help for you. I've attached the Apple Support link;

Use subtitles and captioning in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 12:16 PM in response to marku7

Hello marku7, It sounds like I have the same ROKU setup you have. I use closed captioning too. Checking ROKU settings I haven't found anything that would help other than changing the caption style, but that doesn't slow down the caption speed, because the caption is trying to stay in sync with the lips of people talking. However in AppleTV settings there is a setting in accessibility called Closed Captions and SDH. I just now tried it and it does slow the caption a little by leaving the words of a sentence on the screen until the sentence is completed. Also the caption is rather large, so if your watching a movie the large caption may distract from the movie in some peoples view. Also the caption does not stay sync to the lips of people talking. There is as bit of a delay. You can give it a try to see if it will help for you. I've attached the Apple Support link;

Use subtitles and captioning in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.