Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite install issues

A buddy of mine got a 24” iMac that he got from his mom who got from an old co-worker when they moved. He brought it to me to look at and see it I can get it running and upon bootup it goes straight to OSX Utilities. I dinged around looking at a couple forums and trying things here and there and am now stuck at the install phase of Yosemite.

I originally got an error that was an issue with the date and time, and after I moved past that, I get the issue where it asks for an apple ID and when I put my buddys info, it gives another error saying its unavailable. I read up on that and one forum said it could be because that apple ID is not assigned to that OSX install? I havent heard of that before but now that im in this predicament, how do I continue? I have no contact with the original owner as they moved states away

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 8:30 PM

The computer is probably tied to the Apple ID of the original owner. Do you have access to recovery. Either Command R or hold down the option key for boot menu and select the recovery Volume. You will have to erase the drive using disk utilities from recovery and then exit disk utilities and use reinstall. Which should give you a fresh install of Yosemite. When done and in setup you can open a new Apple account with a new Apple ID.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2022 8:30 PM in response to Jayfaas

The computer is probably tied to the Apple ID of the original owner. Do you have access to recovery. Either Command R or hold down the option key for boot menu and select the recovery Volume. You will have to erase the drive using disk utilities from recovery and then exit disk utilities and use reinstall. Which should give you a fresh install of Yosemite. When done and in setup you can open a new Apple account with a new Apple ID.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Yosemite install issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.