Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i add an external hard drive to my Apple One account?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 12:33 PM

Hello there AllenK13,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

To get started, Apple One bundles some of Apple Subscription Services together and it includes additional iCloud Storage. You can definitely use an external hard drive to relocate items from your Mac, but, it cannot be backed up or synced with iCloud.

If you need more iCloud storage, you can possibly upgrade your Apple One plan. You can learn more about Apple One here: Get Apple One

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 12:33 PM in response to AllenK13

Hello there AllenK13,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

To get started, Apple One bundles some of Apple Subscription Services together and it includes additional iCloud Storage. You can definitely use an external hard drive to relocate items from your Mac, but, it cannot be backed up or synced with iCloud.

If you need more iCloud storage, you can possibly upgrade your Apple One plan. You can learn more about Apple One here: Get Apple One

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

Mar 29, 2022 1:05 PM in response to SnickZ.

Going one step further, if I upload files from an external drive, and then disconnect the external drive from my laptop, will the files remain in the cloud. There's no "expiration date" for a file in an iCloud or Apple One account, correct? In other words, a file can remain in my cloud location for years without being accessed, and Apple won't delete it because of inactivity, correct?

Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.